Best Drum Machine for Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mooseman, Nov 26, 2002.

1. mooseman

Jul 24, 2002
    Chesterfield, VA
    Hey everyone,

I'm looking to find an organic sounding software-based drum machine that can integrate with Cubase SX. Can anyone make a recommendation on one that is easy to use and popular, that has a clear interface and good samples?

Thanks for your help.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Native Instruments Battery
  3. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Reason 2.0. It also has a ton of Synths, and pre-fab drum loops.
  4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You mean Reason 2.01 ;)

Reason is cool, but to use just for drums? That's overkill.
    Also, I think that a VSTi is easier to use in Cubase or Nuendo than Reason via Rewire.

There are some more that are nice:

FXpansion DR-008

Linplug RM III

Steinberg LM-4 and LM-4 Mk.II

Waldorf Attack is a great drum synth

check for some more info
  5. BigTed

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I guess if your looking to actually purchase it.. Reason is probably overkill;) The flexibility of Reason is insane though. Also, using it as a slave with Cubase was a snap for me and I'm pretty noobish in the DAW world. The big drawback thought is that 98% of Reason was made for the House, Techno, Trance folks.. and that music makes we want to barf.

Great VST website JMX. Thanks for the link.
  6. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mind you, I'm a BG Reason fan, I just think you won't do it justice if you just use it as a drum synth.
  7. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yeah, but the drums in Reason are still pretty decent. Reason is an incredible program, only if they could get audio multi tracking in it then it would be amazing.
  8. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I like Hammerhead for drums. It's freeware, easy to learn and you can download user-made "banks" with different drum sounds.

Seems like most people use it for techno stuff but I found a good bank that sounds real close to an actual drumset.

It also lets you export patterns to .wav format, which I import into Acid and edit.

Check it out here Hammerhead if ya want.