Best drum track software for odd time signatures

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassjamn, Mar 16, 2003.

1. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I am using Cakewalk and guitar tracks which work good for doing multi track recording and have been using drag and drop drummer as the drum tracks.

However i need something that can lay down tracks in 7/4 or 11/4, anyone have some tips?

I've tried hotstepper which has lots of signatures but not the ones i need =(
    Also just downloaded fruityloops but that does not seem to do anything out of 4/4...
  2. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Try something like Jammer or Band in a box. You can enter the time sig, choose a style and bob's yer uncle.
  3. Hey bassjamn,

I'm certain that Cakewalk Sonar allows you to set the time sig, and I'd be really surprised if Guitar Tracks doesn't as well. Go to the start of the track and choose the Insert... Time/Key signature menu item and it should have something for you to be able to enter the subdivision (2 or 4 or 8 or 16) and the number of these in each bar (3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 etc.).

Fruity Loops is THE ULTIMATE drum track (and everything else) creation software. Specify how many beats in the loop, and how many subdivisions of each, set the tempo and you're away. It's cheap, it's incredbly powerful and you get free upgrades for life!

Double plus extra cool.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Steinberg Cubase SX + Native Instruments Battery
  5. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    fruity loops is pretty good but jmx hit the nail on the head.
  6. I'm certain it does. Go to the options>song settings. [Straight from the manual!] "Bar length lets you set the number of steps (16th notes) that make one bar, beat length lets you set the number of steps that make up one beat."

So: Bar length=4*7=28, beat length=7 gives you 4 bars of 7/4. Bar length=4*28=112, beat length=28 gives you 4 bars of 7/4 subdivided into sixteenths. Play around with this feature and you'll see that you can do a heck of a lot!

EDIT: Scratches head and mutters something about maths... 7 beats each divided into 4 bits (semi-quavers) = 28 * 4 bars = 112. But are they still called sixteenths since there aren't sixteen of them in the bar anymore?
  7. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I think the guy wanted to know waht piece of software can actually creat interesting rhythms non-standard time sigs.

FYI, cakewalk sonar, although can wotk to any time sig, doesn't create rhythms. It does have the session drummer plugin, but it's not too useful, and it a pain in the arse to use.

Fruityloops is great at creating regimented drums, for things like dance styles and the like, but it's not very human. Sounds great, but not human enough.

Cubase SX (as far as I'm aware) has the same non drum creation issue as Sonar. Battery as fantastic as it's samples are, does not create rhythms, it plays back drum and loop samples, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So I stand by waht I said before, try Jammer or Band in a box, for truly humanized, improvisational odd time sig performances.
  8. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    The note names don't change just becaouse there's less of them in a bar. The fractional note names are American names for the note lengths derived from a semibreve, which is a whole note:

Semibreve = whole note
    minim = 1/2 note
    crochet = 1/4 note
    quaver = 1/8 note
    semiquaver = 1/16
    demisemiquaver = 1/32
    hemidemisemiquaver = 1/64

so a time sig of 7/4 is actually 7 chrochet beats (or quarter note beats) to a bar.
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

He wasn't really specific enough in that post, so it can be read either way.