Best drum video for our drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Transverz, May 9, 2005.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any good drum videos for a novice-okay drummer?

Our drummer has progressed through his beginner and novice stages very quickly. He is self taught, so he's been able to play and create stuff for our songs and I think he's okay.

But lately, he needs to get past this certain level of skill. I don't think he really learned a certain "style" of play which I think holds him back and limits his abilities. Of course, "rock" drumming would be great for him to learn the foundations of, but then again, I guess that could be rooted in a whole lot of things right?

So any videos that are extra helpful yet good for someone who has already been playing but needs those essential skills to get better? He is thinking about getting "Musical Drumming in Different Styles" by Gregg Bissonette. Any reviews for that one?

Any help would be much appreciated...thanks!

2. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Tim Alexander has a dvd out (if he's into Primus at all). Neal Peart has a 4 hour dvd or something crazy. Terry Bozio kills everybody and has some cool vids out there too. You guys should split the Drummers Collective/Bass Day dvd thing...
  3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Carter Beauford has a DVD out andd he's an amazing drummer
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Just buy him the Led Zeppelin DVD and strap him to a chair in front of the TV for several hours. That'll fix 'em! :smug:
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ....or, you could always get him a copy of "The Kids Are Alright". ;)
  6. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I would save the money, forget the video and have your drummer take a series of lessons from a qualified teacher. He will develop knowledge of his instrument, see and learn different techniques, and then take away from those lessons what he likes most. Then watch out!
  7. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I've forwarded him your video suggestions, plus some I saw on some drum sites. And definitely we've suggested drum lessons. He doesn't seem to have the time but I think I'll strongly advise he make the time as if this could happen, videos could just be a supplement while a teacher could fast forward him to the present, effecting our band immediately.

Any traveling drum teachers in Los Angeles?

Thanks all for your help again...

8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have Billy Ward "Big Time", which is an excellent video. I also highly recommend John Blackwell's "Groove, Technique and Showmanship" (I think it's called).
  9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  10. x1000. yes.

But, if you must have a video, have someone tape YOUR drummer during rehearsals, and maybe then it'll sink in that he needs more "colors on his pallette".

Or maybe know how drummers can be. ;)
  11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the advice all. I have combined all your suggestions. I referred him to the videos plus the websites. Also, I have done some research on some local drum teachers. I think after he's done with his lessons for the week or month or whatever, he can go to the videos or websites for support information/reference.

The "taping him" idea sounds good too. It makes sense as a lot of things are benefitted from taping oneself in order to get a proper perspective of what you might be doing wrong.

... :eek: HEY! I know what you're thinking...

I was thinking that too... ;)
  12. Um....errr.....uhhh...... ;)
  13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    It sounds like your drummer is motivated..

something my drummer never been, he's been taking lessons for 3years and he is still a newbie, he say he doesn't have time :rolleyes:

have fun with your drummer :hyper:
  14. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Motivated? Well, when your band is telling you like crazy that you should do more of this and more of that and can you do this real quick or maybe you should take lessons hahaha, people tend to get motivated.

Nah, he is a pretty good drummer. I mean, for someone who's never taken lessons and only started playing around the time the band formed, he exceled really fast. But he kind of plateaued, he never got better than just "okay". So now that the band is writing more songs and trying to up our level of musicianship, the whole system gets dragged down when someone can't take their instrument to new heights. Same goes with our rhythm guy. Got really good at first, then just kinda never got better.

I'm not saying I'm the master either, but at least I practice what I can and always finding new things to incorporate in new and old songs. I really do want to take lessons too though. I think it would shoot me WAY higher than the level I'm at now.

Good luck with your drummer too. I think the key is to challenge any musician and if they are truly worthy of being in the band, they'll get motivated.