1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best "E" String on a 34" scale 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Ray, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Hi I have a very specific question for all of the 34" scale 4 string players. What bass do you have or have played that has what you consider to be the best sounding "E" string. I know string type, setup etc can play a factor but some basses just sound better on the lower strings. I own Fender, Modulus etc but my Dillion Thunderbird has an amazing sound down low, The low E is clear and warm and well defined, I can actually feel the low notes resonating through the set neck. Every bass has it's forte but what 34" scale 4 string do you feeI has the best lowend? I just want to know what other 4 string basses I should be checking out.:meh:

2. This may not apply as it's been out of production for years but my 98 Warwick Corvette FNA has a great E. The 73 Precision in my FS ad has a great low string, although it's tuned DGCF. That one has great harmonics- they really pop out.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Any P bass I have ever played has an incredible open E.

4. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I have owned a Warwick Thumb B/O it was nice and warm in the low end, but I never felt comfortable with the body. I have owned some Fender P's and they are generally pretty good in the low/low mid end. If you look at your collection of basses there is always one or two that will give you that little extra definition in the low end...funny thing my least expensive bass has the most growliest defined E.:meh:

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    What's next... people searching for basses with best A, D or G strings???

Honestly, I've heard very few complaints about E strings on most decent quality basses. I can understand quibbling about low B string variations but E's???

Apparently I need to set my standards way higher for the instruments I play. :)

6. I don't see any complaints/quibbling. Yes, most bass' E is usually good but some are definitely better than others; let's watch for a pattern. :)

7. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    NO QUIBBLING..I have played for years and owned a ton of instruments. I was just wondering what basses you "other players" thought had a better sound in the low end. I play alot of blues and r & b and hang on the lower strings..it can really change the way you play and sound. You just might learn something if you have an open mind. Talkbass is hopefully about information.:)

8. If my gig was R&B I'd likely keep my P(which I may end up doing anyway :rolleyes:)- it's quite deep & very good down low.

9. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Thank you. Yes some basses do have a better sound on the lower strings. I love Fender P's and I want to add a P/J. I have also found that the Hipshot "D" tuners also work better on some basses due to that same performance in the low end.

10. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    ESP has some of the best, not only E, but all strings awesome xD!! and they're great for lower tunings!

11. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    Thanks Mikio This could be a very informative thread.:)