Best earbuds for the audiophile?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by johnbegone, Oct 14, 2005.

1. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a guy that needs to hear things sounding just as the musician/producer intended them to do. At home I listen to my music using either my small studio monitors or my Sennheiser HD280's. But when I'm out on tour or out walking or something, I don't feel like wearing my big boxy headphones so I settle for the little earbuds that came with my ipod. I'm looking for suggestions on some new ear buds, preferrably in the $100-150 range that will sound more like my studio headphones. Let me know what you've got!

thanks guys
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you want best earbuds for the audiophile, you can easily spend $500 or more.

In your price range, for your application, IMO you'll get the best sound with in ear monitors.

Here are some good ones in your range:

I feel Etymotic are slightly better here in your range, while the Shure's win out in the next price ranges ($300)
  3. johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the input. That website seems like a good resource, I'll continue to look through their pages.

I also want to say that I need some pretty loud ear buds. The iPod default ones are quite loud in comparison to any other headphone I've tried with the ipod, which is best so I don't have to crank it up and drain my battery life.
  4. john,

I've been using Etymotic products for quite some time. I own the custom-fitted "musician's earplugs" (ER-9/15/25), the non-fitted ER-20 and the excellent ER-4 earphones. Many of my friends have trusted my recommendation and bought the ER-4's and they are all very happy with them. They make three versions of the ER-4 and I have experience with the "P" and "S" models. They make a lower-priced model, the ER-6 but I don't like the sound of them at all. They seem to be very cheaply-made compared to the others. I would suggest avoiding them.
    While the price of the ER-4's is steep, they've more than payed for themselves in the four years I've owned them. I don't have much experience with any other in-ears as I normally listen through Senn 580 or 650 from a Headroom Max amplifier.

David has pointed you in the right direction.
  5. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    I own a pair of the ER-4s and to my ears, they are as good as any of the higher priced Shure plugs
  6. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    I'm using a pair of shure e2c buds right now, for street noise blocking and more enhanced details to the music/bass response they're good, the wire is bulky and resistant.
  7. johnbegone

Sep 16, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    These Etymotic ER-4's are sounding pretty good. They even make a model with low impedance for small devices such as the ipod. I'm still open for suggestions though. Thanks for the input guys.
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I use etymotic ER-6i's with my mp3 player. They're great. The best bit about them is that they're sound excluding :)