1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best earplugs?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Jason Sypher, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    I don't get as much sleep as I need and find that after coming home from a gig it takes me hours to settle my ears and get to sleep. I've been using some earplugs but they're not that great. I was wondering if anybody out there has any expertise in this direction?

2. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Don't know if they are the best, but Westones are excellent. 9db, 15db and 25db options. I chose the 25db but would actually recommend the 15s for you unless you're either playing extremely loud or already have hearing loss (as do I).

3. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Westones or other custom-molded are the best, most expensive, and worth every penny. +1 to 15db, but your needs may vary.

4. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL
    I have nothing but good experiences with Hear-O's. They are comfortable and cheap. I prefer the foam plugs because my ear canals are shaped kind of funny.

If you plan on going to a death metal show in the basement of a Moose Lodge, I recommend you get some industrial ones that will muffle the sound of a nuclear bomb. Nothing like 40db of suppression to make a bad night an OK one. :D

5. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    I went to an audiologist and got some made. They make a mold of your ear. Can't remember the brand. They are fantastic. I think mine are 15db's. I cuts the frequency equally. Put them in before you play and you wont notice a difference. One of the best things I ever did. Can't replace your hearing.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    I've read about have an audiologist custom make some to your ear canal which seems like the best way to go. How much did they run you if you don't mind me asking? Did insurance cover any of it? I'm guessing not.

7. I have a set of Hear-Os, which seem identical to the Etymotics.

I hate them.

If you sing, good luck.

8. Dom Phenom

Dom Phenom

Apr 24, 2008
    Go to an audiologist and have a custom molded set. Best $150 i've ever spent. They cut pretty evenly across the frequencies, and it's only at the worst sounding shows (meaning muddy room) that i find myself taking one out to hear more clearly. I wear 'em at every practice and show (whether i'm playing or just watching). I have the 25dbs, which are good if you play right next to a drummer playing at full volume. The beauty of the custom ones is you can get different db filters for pretty cheap, that you can just pop into your custom plugs. So you can change the strength for different gigs.

The audiologist I went to also gave me the raw ear molds back, so if i lose my plugs, i can just send the molds back and have new ones made, which is cheaper than having a new appointment.

9. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    For decades (literally!) I used the foam plugs, but the disadvantage is that they don't let you hear the mix accurately.

I've started using the Etymotics, and like them. As far as I can figure, they're the same as the Hear-Os. Cuts the level down, but the mix you hear is pretty much what it is. I've A/B'd them, in/out, and the level is lower without radically messing up the frequency balance the way the foam plugs do.

Got 'em mail order from here:

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/

And hit the electric bass forum, pull up the live sound section, and check out the sticky at the top. (Not giving ya the razz about posting the question! Not at all. But there's more stuff on the sticky which might interest you. That's where I learned about Etymotics and the Ear Plug Store.)

10. dperrott

dperrott

Oct 3, 2005
    NYC
    Thats about what I paid for. I wear mine all the time. Makes playing/listening a better experience. I have the 15dbs. Thankfully I never lost one but if I ever get fitted again I will ask for the molds! One of the best things I ever did!

11. Do any of you guys wear earplugs while singing? How do you do it?

12. no praise for the marlboro cigarette filter...

13. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    Yes, I have and do.

Singing's one reason why the custom-molded ones are so much more popular (and expensive) than the others:

You can't hear much besides your own voice when you sing with foam or other "cheap" earplugs.

But with the custom-molded ones, you can hear other singers and instruments pretty well. Plus your own voice sounds a little more natural.

The more DBs rated (i.e. 25db vs 15 db) the less natural the instruments and voices sound. But the better protection too.

EVEN SO:

If you can't or won't spend for the custom ones, DO wear the foam ones. They are far better than nothing, and you CAN get used to them if you don't give up. Wear them on breaks for normal conversation too, and once you get used to them you'll find you can hear a little better when they are in. I wore foam ones several years before I decided I needed my molded set.

14. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    LOL