Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Eden Cab to Compliment The Metro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, May 30, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey guys-

I'm picking up an Eden Metro Combo Amp (small clubs, bars, practices) and I was also thinking about picking up an extension cab (Hopefulyl also by Eden) for when I play much larger venues. For anyone who owns a Metro Combo or any of the Eden lovers, please advise me on the best cab to compliment the Metro.
    Thanks.

:)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, man...i've got a metro and i use an eden d115xlt to go along with it. works great...sounds awesome.

3. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So when picking an extension cabinet, did you find that the 15" woofer made most sense complimenting 2 10"s. Did you try out all the other different formats (meaning extension combinations) with the metro, before determining that the 115xlt was the way to go? Thanks for your help neptoon.

The reason I ask is I've found a couple great deals.

I could get a 410XLT for $625 or maybe less
    or
    I could get 115T & a 110T for probably around $400 together.

So my choices right now are

6 10" XLTs
    or
    2 10" XLTs
    1 15"
    and another 2 10" but not the XLT's

Any thoughts?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, honestly, i thought the d212xlt sounded best with it, but the wifey bought the 15 for me, so i can't complain :D try the 12's, man...they sound great. ;) the 410 sounds great, too...try 'em all!

5. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm headed to the nearest Eden Retailer (about 20 minutes away) in a few hours. Hopefully they will have all the cabs I want to try out. 12's, sounded the best? I'll have to look into that and I'll give em a try. Thanks again.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Poon, I hope I caught you in time. You definitely (note correct spelling) want the D-410XLT. I play either a WT-300 or WT-800 through one of two speaker combos: D-210XLT + D-115XL or D-210XLT + D-410XLT. If you want volume and plenty of bottom, the latter is the way to go. The 210 + 115 combination is jazzier sounding, but just can't produce the volume and great tone of six 10's. Outdoors, the 210 + 115 just won't cut it. Yes sir, you need the D-410XLT.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What about the 210XST and 410XST?

Try them out. They have great low frequency response not found in other cabs.

Peace
    Nick

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm.......XST.........ahhhhhhhhh

9. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I vote for the tens as well. I picked up a 210xlt to put under my metro, and I love it. Like Munji said, Eden's tens have great bottom with the punch you desire. Your audiences will hear and feel your sound.

10. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Another vote for the 4x10 XLT

11. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I can get a sweet deal on the XLT's used. Do you guys think I should go with that or should I wait and get some XST's New. The place that I went to didn't have any XST's, but I combined a metro with a 4 ohm version of the XLT and it sounded great. I tried it out with three different basses, my Cirrus, a Stingray 5, and my Curbow 6. All three of them sounded incredible through that setup. Thanks to whoever got me into david eden.

12. philtypeguy

philtypeguy

Jul 11, 2002
    Asheville, NC
    I love eden cabs and amps, but you should consider the aguilar gs-112 as an extention cab. It's light (42lbs.) with a huge sound that compliments the 210xlt perfectly, especially if you play 5 string. I use a wt-800 with a 210xlt and a gs-112 and I love it. Loud and articulate.

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned my favorite companion for an Eden Metro...an SWR Triad.

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

I ran a Schecter Jazz and a Fender fretless Jazz through this rig and it was beautiful beyond words. I would have liked more power, to compete with the keyboard player. But I had exactly the perfect tone.

14. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I repeat my vote for the 4x10 XLT, especially if all of your basses sound good with it. I ran the exact same set-up for a while with a Lakland 55-94....niiiiice.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the sweet deal on used XLT.

"Thanks to whoever got me into david eden."

Let's seeeeeeeeee, could it be .... SATAN?

16. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    :ninja: <---Now that is a bad ass smiley.

Satan is a pretty good guy if he got me into Eden. The sound is quite "Seductive". But the price for the amps and cabs will definitely cost my soul. So where do I sign?

17. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Munji: Do you have the 4 ohm or 8 ohm application of the 410xlt with your amp?

Because I'm wondering(question for everyone), the guy with the sweet deal on the 4x10xlt said that he thinks he has the 8-ohm version and with the metro that makes it a 4 ohm total load application, correct? So that means later on I could add another cab if I wanted to run a 2-ohm load. I'm not great with the whole Impedence thing, but that means that although I might get a lower resistance meaning more power, I would be generating more heat and possible wear on the amp if I consistently run a 2 ohm application, right? Back to reality, If I run just the 4-ohm application with the 6x10's, ya think that will be cool? Or would it be better for me to get a 4-ohm cab, so it runs at 2-ohms. I know this depends on if I'm planning on expanding my rack later on at all. Well I guess my question is, do you think 6x10's is loud enough on a 4-ohm load? Thanks for your help Gurus.

IF EVERYTHING I SAID IS COMPLETELY WRONG, just let me know. I'm not afraid to be a dumb@ss.
    :D

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got the prices on a few deals that I'm thinking of pursuing with the metro.

Is $600 a good price for a used, decent condition Eden D410XLT? Some guy is selling his, and I want to know if I should jump on that?

On another note though, One Guy is selling an Aguilar GS410 as well for $575. That sounds more like a deal, but I was just hoping to match...LOL.

But what do you guys think of these deals?
    Which one should I jump on? (If any)

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Well, I'm the guy selling the Aguilar :)

I think your Metro will only run a 4 ohm load. Someone let me know if I'm mistaken. If that's the case, you definitely don't want my Aguilar because it's a 4 ohm cab, which is too low an impedence for you.

cheers!

20. The Metro's are rated down to 2 ohms, 600 watts. Adding a 4 ohm cab would bring the load to 2.67 ohms, is that safe to run? I too am considering an extension cab if and when finances allow it.