Best effect for warmer tube sound on a sterile amp??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Apr 9, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I just picked up the swr workingmans 15 and to my ears it's very dry and sterile sounding,not the tone i'm looking for at all.I want more of an old school warm tube sound and was hoping a pedal might get me somewhere near there on the swr.Is the sans amp the best way to go or is there something better?
  2. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    The Sansamp bass driver is great for that. Has awesome overdrive too.
  3. oh.. yes. I'm also interested in that.
    I have bought the SWR 550x which is also absolutely clear and sterile. When I bought it I didn't know much about amps and so I recognised that it doesn't give me the sound I was looking for.
    I like playing with OD oder Distortion, but on this amp it sound's not very satisfying at all.

ok.. so trying a SansAmp would be interesting
  4. I think my EH Black Finger does a much better job of providing a warm vacuum tube sound than my Sans Amp Bass Driver. It actually has vacuum tubes.

~ Charlie
  5. EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    How much do the black fingers cost?
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    there's also the sib fatdrive pedal,which has a tube in it
  7. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    How About Hartke Bass Attack pedal ?
  8. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI may be warm, but it colors the sound TREMENDOUSLY. The distortion settings are pretty cool, but it's not optimal, at least from what I read of your needs.

A pedal I'd highly recommend is the Fulltone Bassdrive. It's very warm sounding, ranging from subtle to fairly nasty overdrive, and doesn't rob the actual tone of your bass. It's true bypass, as well. :hyper:
  9. or maybe the new EHX Eglish Muff'n, which also has got tubes in it and is a OD..
  10. The blackfinger should be found for under $200USD. I also have the sib fatdrive and it's a nice preamp/eq/boost deal. Costs a bit more than the blackfinger, I think. If you don't need a compressor, I think that would be a great option, too. But personally, I find the blackfinger's compression to be very pleasing, warm and transparent, so that's what I use. :cool:

~ Charlie
  11. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    budda phatbass???
    or simply a sansamp but only a RBI rack unit, or, tto change your sound completly, you could simply use you SWR as a power amp and buy a separate preamp to fit in a rack, like E.g. an ampeg svp BSP which has distortion
  12. I also have an SWR, and I didn't know that I can use it only as poweramp, too if i want..
    so.. a question, a little bit off topic.
    when I only want to use a Preamp model on my GT6B, like for example the ampeg SVT, can i then take this as Preamp and my swr 550x as poweramp? when I go: bass-gt6b-swr550x
    .. but I only want the sound of the preamp, and I don't want it to be mixed with the settings of the swr, so what should i do?
    turn all the knobs on the swr off except gain and volume???

thanks for listening to me
  13. Plug the output of the GT6B into the effects return jack of the SWR. That's it! BAM!
  14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I just bought an old Digitech BP8 for about $140. It has a whole lot of effects, which may or may not be any good or useful. However, it has the 12AX7 tube, and the EQ works very well. I have found it quite useful for dialing in just about any kind of tones I'm interested in. The effects guys may not like it, but for tone, IME it is a great way to go.
  15. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I should add that the least expensive way to warm up a sterile sounding amp IME is to get one of the little ART mic preamps with the 12AX7 in it. I think these days, you can find them for a little more than $50. That will give you the depth in the tone that you need. The BP8 is a little better because of the EQ, but the ART will work just fine. The only problem I've noted with the ART's is the DI can have some ground loop weirdness with some PA rigs.
  16. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I use a Boss CS-3 into a Boss ODB-3 for that, and am very satisfied with the sound. The ODB is not only at minimum drive, but the CS before it has output that's reduced a little from what the bypassed sound would be for playing at normal plucking force.

I boost the treble on the CS-3, and then reduce it on the ODB. I also increase the high-mids on the amp quite a bit, and reduce the highs a little.

This works great for me; I use a full-range PA cab with a big'ol horn, and it still doesn't sound harsh or crackly.

17. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ