Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best effect pedals for 80s retro

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Which multieffect or effect pedal would be best for playing eighties tunes?

2. Seems to me the guy from Japan, The Fix and of course John Taylor used stereo chorus quite a bit. i think that genre is more defined by active electronics and solid state amps than effect pedals, although there were a lot of tunes with fretless parts back in the day.

3. Chorus and compression are the two biggies. The chorused, compressed sound was pioneered by Tony Levin and Sting, and copped by just about everyone else in the decade.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Pino Palladino's fretless octaver sound with some chorus is what comes to my mind when I think of the 80s.
    He used a fretless MM stingray and a BOSS OC-2 Octaver.

5. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    All I have to say is.. WHY!??!?!?! leave the 80s in the past man!!!!

6. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    If you're playing 80's pop, go with a synth.

7. Uh...can't we make a bass sound like a synth and get that extra the keyboard doesn't give ya...just a thought...

Long live the 80s man...better than this boy band crap of today by a mile!

Chorus and Compression...and the synth pedal I saw on bassplayer.com ... good good... now about the money...uh, oh...