Best Electric bass for Acoustic???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kas_lar, Jan 14, 2006.

1. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Hi Guys, I don't know if this topic have been discussed, but here's the thing:

I play both the upright and electric bass.
    I thinking of focusing on the electric bass, but I need a good electric bass which sounds like an upright.
    Which electric bass sounds like an upright? Is it a acoustic bass like this:

and I don't like Electric uprights....

Thanks for listening..

2. jefframm

jefframm Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    In my experience, the Rob Allen MB-2's are the closest thing I've heard. Particularly if you play them with the tape wound strings that Rob uses, and then pluck near the end of the fingerboard.

I've not heard anything "electric" that got closer. YMMV obviously.

3. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    The closest I have heard to replicating an upright is the little Ashbory. Anything else sounds like a modified electric bass. Rob Allen, Godin, etc sound good but not like an upright. Close.
  4. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Tarus Mateen is a acoustic and electric player. I saw him playing with Jason Moran. He had this strange hollow body with a curve fingerboard... Try to google him and look a the different pictures of him playing diffent basses...
  5. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
  6. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    To add to my post, I would so far as to say that the Guild Ashbury is a one trick pony because that is the only sound you get out of it: the sound of an upright.
  7. I second the Rob Allen MB-2 recommendation.

It's been my experience that Rotosound Tru-bass 88 strings produce the closest URB tone in conjunction with the MB-2.

Use the search feature on here and you will find plenty of info on this subject.
  8. kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Hi tonequixote...
    thanks for your opinions....
    As for the search feature: Which keywords would you recommend me to use?
  9. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
  11. wombolombo

Nov 29, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    Whatever you get, string it with the Labella tapewounds...that makes a BIG difference.
  12. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I hope you're right; actually those are the strings Rob recommended I get with the one he'll be making for me. The reason he suggested these Rotosounds is for their faster decay, which is the same way uprights "behave."
  13. Using the search term "Rob Allen" will yield most of the topics that address your needs.

Hope this helps.
  14. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    This may be heresy, but I don't think any of the basses mentioned sound close to an upright. The fretless models do have a bit of the upright sound in the high registers, but they just lack something in the botton.

The Rob Allen sounds the best for what it is, it's beautifully made, but very pricey.

My pick would be a Fender P with flatwounds and a foam mute. Guys like Monk Montgomery and Carl Cranshaw played them live in the 60s and later, playing with real jazz players and the bandleaders liked the sound. Listen to some of the recordings these guys made. They got a wonderful sound for jazz.

Of course they also didn't use super hi-fi megawatt amplifiers either. Nowadays I'd use a Polytone which is also a good choice for upright.
  15. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Talking about nylon covered strings, has anybody found a solution to the grounding issues with the nylon tape strings? I am using a set of Rotosound 88s. If I switch to playing over the pickups I sometime get a large crackle from static discharge if I happen to touch a pole piece. I also notice the hum between songs.

Somebody suggested taping over the pole pieces. That might solve the crackle but not the hum. I can live with the hum since it is not loud, I am just used to holding my hands on the strings between songs and getting no noise at all.

I also heard a rumour that the shield over the pickups was partially to solve this problem and that the eary models grounded the shield with a wire to the ground plate under the pickups. Can anybody confirm this?

16. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. The Rob Allen is expensive, though. You might try a Godin A4 semiacoustic fretless. I have one, and it gets about as close to an upright tone as one can get with an electric bass for a reasonable price. IIRC, Hotwire makes a nice one too, though again, they're expensive.

NO electric bass or even ABG will give you a true upright tone. However, the Godin gives you the idea of it, in a small size (like a typical bass, Jazz neck), and can be had for under $1k new and around $600 used. Also, it won't feedback, which is a big problem with typical ABGs. They're not too hard to find in stores, either.

Attached Files:

17. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Any problems with neck dive?
  18. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have the Godin fretless. No problem with neck dive, at least not much. Less than your average P.

It gets a pretty good sound, much like the Rob Allen. I have nylon tapewounds on it now. I'm not that fond of those strings, Sort of a strange midrange honk to them. I think it's better with Thomastic flats, once they've broken in.