Best "Electric" School

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I know there are many great conservatories for double bass, but I was wondering what are some of the better music schools for a more modern electric bass major? I know there is always Berklee, but I was wondering what other schools had relatively strong electric bass offerings? thanks

ps- I mean colleges/universities when saying "schools".
  2. stu FORD

stu FORD

May 22, 2004
    i too am curious
  3. greekbassist

Jan 5, 2006
    Hi guys,

There is Bass Insitute down in Los Angeles?

About two days ago I posted a thread called Music Degree..

I too was, am, looking of a college for electric bass.

check out my thread called "Music Degree" Lots of good information.

Greek bassist!
  4. i know that Berklee has a pretty big bass department, go to their site and browse around ull find it eventually. i think you start in majors, i dont remember
  5. 1973ric4001

Apr 27, 2005
    berklee is awesome. I live in MA and i just toured the school this past weekend. They have a pretty amazing bass dept, and whenever a big bass player comes to town (such as Victor Wooten, Billy Sheehan, Jeff Berlin etc.) they guest lecture. They have a bunch of stuff for electric bass. i deffenetly wanna go there.
  6. Berklee, no doubt. I used to want ot go there, but so many people with music degrees told me how useless it was to them :-/
  7. paintballjunkie

Jul 27, 2005
    so conservatories and colleges like I.U. won't take electric players at all?
  8. BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    True, you can waste your time there or you can take advantage of the resources made available to you. Really, no school is going to make you a monster player, its what you decide to put into it (and drag out of the teacher).

Having a piece of paper is valuable by itself if you ever have to survive outside the realm of performing. That is why at the tender age of 40, I am back in school (Gee Whiz!! - I am older than most of the folks with PhD’s teaching around there).

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    They will...I have a degree from University of Michigan in jazz studies on electric bass.
  10. kurkomat

Aug 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Are you looking for a 4 year college or a place to spend a semester or two focusing on improving your electric bass playing? In between undergrad and my MBA I spent a summer at the Player's School (Jeff Berlin's school.) I researched every program out there and don't regret my decision. I'd put their electric bass program up against in the world. The greatest thing was that it was so small-- you get 2 1Hr private lessons with Jeff each week, plus the standard theory and ensemble classes, etc. Plus Jeff is always around and is very accessible- he was always game to go grab a slice of pizza and he'd tell all these crazy stories about hilarious stuff that happened on gigs. If you're not looking to get a formal "degree" in music I highly recommend it- was single best thing I've done for my music career.
  11. Whit Browne

Whit Browne Berklee Bass Department

Feb 27, 2013
    Berklee Bass Dept probably has the most extensive electric bass program. Totally diverse program and bass faculty. Whatever you are looking for musically, you can bassically find it at Berklee. Come on over.