Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Envelope Filter(next to the Mutron)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Jan 4, 2003.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just want to know what's the best(most convincing) sounding envelope filter next to the original Mutron. DOD, Boss, E-H? Advantages and disadvantages of different models would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

2. Well....only my pal JP who used to lurk around these boards and our good friend BigFeet have owned or played more filters than me. So many times I gave up the cash for what I was SURE would be THE filter for me, only to be let down and frankly, surprised. Lots out there, many cool boxes to choose from but none that I have found so far that will do it ALL. Maybe a good idea to decide first exactly what you want one for?
    Funk, slap, pop, etc; with this style it is easier to find a box that will sound wet and squelchy.
    Dub, synth-tones, subharmonic weirdness; really hard to find a box that will give this stuff up w/o being way to busy, complicated and just plain "too much" for us bass guys IMO. Boxes like the famed Lovetone Meatball, Chunk Agent 00Funk, Electrix Filter factory even the Q-tron+ have so many variables,options and configurations that it can be a challenge to re-produce either the same tone night from night or even to find YOUR tone at all. If there is one piece of advice I could offer it would be this; more is not always better. I have decided that the simplicity of something like a Mutron is far more preferable than having dozens of tweak-able parameters like "cut-off freq." "attack". My ol' 'Tron just sounds very natural and complimentary with my playing, others I never was able to warm up to.
    I use a bunch all for very different things. The DOD FX25 is my fav ironically for it's D+B tones and dub-worthiness. The Mutron covers most of everything else but lacks bottom. JP swears by his "Rubber Fetish" which _could_ be great..I dunno?? http://prophecysound.com/

[​IMG]

Some filters are just crap..others are digital which you should try to avoid if possible; analog funk is what you need. The Line 6 FM4 does have it's pluses tho'?
    So, now that I have thoroughly confused you...see what others say? Good luck!!
    :p

3. I'd say EBS BassIQ as long as you only want an envelope filter. If you want a synth the ehx bass microsynth can get pretty funky

4. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I'm just planning on using one for finger-style funk lines, a.k.a. Bootsy Collins, Flea, etc. Not interested in the dub or synth stuff.

The DOD FX25 is really that good?! Looks pretty cheap to me, and I haven't read many good reviews on it.

Thanks for the replies!:)

5. Yes the FX25 is cheap crap but for what it does, it is unbeatable. The BassIQ is dry, flat and some would say characterless. A Mutron in comparison is like being hit upside the head with a wet blanket as opposed to the "dry toast" thump of an EBS. I own all three and use them for different things.

6. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Looked up the DOD web site, and the FX25 is now the FX25B - with an added blend knob. All bass pedals should have one of those... I think I'll have to try and find one to test drive.

7. They suck, sorry. I don't think EV filters benefit from a blend knob personally. If you are using the DOD as a sub-boost (the only thing it is really good for IMO) then the blend might be quite cool? I have not heard good things about this box...apparently the older model just has a better overall tone.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK, cool. Then I'll not test drive one. :)

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an FX-25B. It is collecting dust and is nowhere near my pedal board. It's fine for guitars, but it gets lost in the mix for a bass because it has no bottom.

10. ewendkos

ewendkos

Nov 27, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Actually, I'm surprised I haven't seen this pedal listed here before. The Maxon auto-filter is a great pedal - next best thing to my Mutron. I like it better than the Moog stuff. It's a reissue of the old Ibanez auto filter.

Here's a link:

http://www.maxonfx.com/af9.html

come to think of it, all of the newer Maxon reissue pedals are incredible.

11. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have the FX-25B mostly in part because of madsubwoofers raves. I gave it a try, and the dub sounds are there. Turn the sensitivity off, and the range up. It only boosts the low frequencies so I loose volume on the D and G strings, there is where I use the blend and my korg PEQ-1 perametric EQ after it to boost low mids. To use it as a standard envelope filter, either smash the hell out of your passive bass or drive it with something else unless you have hot active electronics. I usually drive it with my acetone fuzz master for crazy synth sounds, or my boss limiter (forget model number but its the old brown one with 3 knobs)

12. I often wondered how a blend knob might help when using it for the dub thang. Do you put your Acetone B4 the DOD?? Does that work?

13. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    yeah B4. I also drive the envelope filter on my bassfex with it. Its a crazy fuzz pedal with all out full blown buzz saw fuzz all the time. The volume knob just controls the volume of the signal comming out, and there is no gain control. I use that knob with the sensitivity knob to get a proper sweep to come out of the FX-25B. I always run my effects into my "bass" channel on my bassman and run my "normal" channel clean and mix as desired so I get the crappy low cut synth sound and still have the thundering bottom. (I don't know what fender was doing when they labled the channels. The normal channel has more low end)

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well the Meatball is awesome once you get it set right but that can take forever. I was planning to let someone more into tweaking knobs buy the Meatball from me and replace it with a BassIQ, but now I'm getting scared that it won't sound good enough. However the prospect of getting over $500 for the Meatball (Lovetone has ceased production of all their pedals for the forseeable future) and freeing up a load of space on the pedalboard will probably persuade me to downgrade.

Alex

15. Meatball is needlessly complicated. There are filters that sound just as good but don't require so much brain space.

16. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I think somebody mentioned that the DOD FX25 doesn't respond very well to low input. I have a G&L L-2000 which some of you might know has tremendous output(especially in active mode!).

Seeing as I don't play dub or reggae and just want to use the unit as a standard envelope filter, do you think this model would work for me? The other model mentioned look pretty good but they are on the expensive side, particularly for an effect I'm not going to use all the time(actually very little of the time).

Thanks!:)

17. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    When I tried the FX-25B at the store, I used a fender active deluxe 5 string precision (PJ pickups). I got the standard Envelope Filter sound. I tried it out beside the boss dynamic wah AW-3 ($129). The AW-3 had this disgusting squeaky clean (digital) sound, hard to dial in a nice effect, and more than twice the price. I noticed the FX-25B had a real musically dirty organic tone. Now take into account that I lug multiple cabinets and TUBE amplifiers around, so maybe the "hi-fi tone" bassists today with crazy active 18V systems with racks of solidstate compressors and expanders and gigawatt amps may like the boss pedal.

18. The BOSS pedal is crap IMO. The DOD is crap too but will do the dub thing very well, better than most I've heard anyway.

19. EHX has recently reissued my faorite envelope follower, the Dr Q, it's simple & keeps your low end. I don't leave home with out a DrQ and BassBalls. I have a bunch of others-an original MuTron III, EHX Q-tron and BassMicroSynth, IBNZ Auto Filter and an MXR Envelope Filter and all are great but I only use them for recording cuz they have so many settings that I hate to use them live and keep the vintage stuff at home. The BassIQ was a bit too dry & clean for my taste, I likes my funk greezy.

20. I haven't played one but I'd have to assume the Maxon AF9 re-issue to be the best non-Mutron filter out there?