Best F/B Wood for an "Acoustic" sound ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yak66, Aug 23, 2004.

1. yak66

yak66 banned

Aug 20, 2004
    Which is best Wood for an "Acostic Bass Sound" ?
    I would like to get an "Acoustic Bass Sound" with
    a Fretless Jazz Bass .
    Madagascar Rosewood or Pau Ferro ??
    I'm going to order a Custom Replacement Neck,
    I need a "warm" sound to play Jazz :rolleyes:
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Assuming that your Jazz bass has an alder body....
    "Warm", "acoustic" tone makes me think of softness. Then you'd need a fingerboard wood that is rather porous - like oak or ash. Some planks of rosewood may do, too.

But really, what it comes down to is technique! And to some extent perhaps: strings.
    Soft fingerplucking over the neck makes the tone you describe!
    Proper string choice (in your case flat- or even tapewounds) will help a bit.
    Fingerboard wood will help approx 0.01%. :meh:
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Wait, wait. Fretboard wood? I doubt your choice of fretboard wood is going to give a more "acoustic" sound at all, unless you're comparing rubber to rosewood. Worry about your body wood, and the construction of the body. A chambered or semi-hollow might add some of that characteristic, but a hollowbody or a full-on acoustic would easily be best.

If you want a warmer tone, rosewood would probably be best. Brazillian rosewood if you're going custom would be awesome, if only for the more attractive grain rather than any additional sonic properties. That is, of course, assuming different fretboard woods offer appreciable sonic differences to the overall sound of the instrument. However, since it's fretless (and a lot of fretless people use rounds) you might be better off with pau ferro, which is similar to rosewood and a fair bit more durable. Ebony would be ideal, but it's brighter than rosewood. Macassar ebony for that cool grain.
  4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Yeah - when I saw this post I couldn't help but think, that's like asking "What kind of sunglasses should I get so that my lawn stays healthy?" - totally unrelated.

But to the "soft sound" point, definitely something along the lines of Rosewood over harder, denser stuff like Maple, Ebony or Wenge.
  5. Oak or ash? I know both have been used in necks, and I once had a sweet sounding Ares 6 with oak/maple neck and oak fingerboard, but I've never heard of anyone using ash as a fingerboard. Are there any good examples out there? I'm intrigued.
  6. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

7. I could get an approximation of an acoustic bass using a fretless and by using flatwounds and sliding my fingers ever so slightly with my fretting hand and plucking like I do with my acoustic. But there is nothing better than the real thing in my very humble opinion. I just love the warm sounds of my acoustic.
  8. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Any wood can be used for anuthing (almost - in a bass guitar...)!
    Ash is not much used for fingerboards, but have the properties for it. If you're not opting for the maximum hardness=pau ferro or something :smug: