Best "featherweight" power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Sacchetti, Dec 13, 2003.

1. I am looking to assemble a portable componet rig that is the lightest possible. I have decided on the Read Purity pre amp.

I am just starting to research power amps, Here is my wish list.

It must have high quality componets and be as light as possible.

I have owned a WW amp in the past and traded it for a Buscarino bass. It is a great amp. However I found myself always looking for a warmer sound.

I presently have the following amps:

Glockenklang Heartcore
    Agi Db 750
    Ashdown 300 ABM

I am looking for moree power out of this new rig.
    Does anyone have any experience with the new wave of digital amps coming out?

2. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Check out the Peavey DPC 1400x. 1400 watts in a 1 rackspace, 12lbs box. I hear they're really nice, if I was needing more power that's what I would buy.
  3. Thanks for the suggestion.

I will check out their website.
    Does anyone use the Peavey that can share their pro's and con's on the amp?
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Stewart World 2.1 works well for me. 2100 watts. 2 rack spaces. 17 pounds.
  5. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Which model Walter Woods did you have? I can't believe there you need something warmer than an Electracoustic 1200 watt Ultra. If you had a older WW I can understand, but the new Ultra is very warm.
  6. Yes it was an older WW head from the mid 90's. I have not tried the new one. His amps are top notch quality products.
  7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I strongly suggest you check the new Ultra. Totally different from the older models. If you need Walter's # let me know.

8. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    The Stewart World 1.2 weighs in at 11lbs. and puts out 1200 watts into 4 ohms. It doesn't have a built in fan so if you really need the full 1200 make sure its well ventilated. On the other hand no fan = quiet. I love mine and have never had a problem with it although I have heard a few people complain about the 1.2 overheating.
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've got one, and unfortunately, its already starting to become rather noisy. has begun to develop an annoying hiss. :(

i'd instead go with either a QSC PLX power amp or Stewart World 2.1.

the QSC sorta amazed me at how light it was. but its nowhere near as light as the Stewart, tho the stew's fan does annoy some guys.

if you're not gonna be pulling anything over 600 watts, i strongly suggest a Stewart World 1.2. doesnt have a fan, but like basss mentioned its freakishly lightweight. and again, you do have to be mindful of the heat issue, cause it does shut down on you. but as long as you're not pushing too far over the edge, and have good ventilation, you should be golden. (knock on wood) i regularly do nonstop 45 min. gigs with mine, and it hasnt failed me once.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    QSC PLX. 21 pounds, your choice of 1,200, 1,600, 2,400, 3,000, or 3,400 watts.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Tech Soundsystems Black Cat seems to be very nice:

2-rackspaces, 6.5kg, all tube preamp with point-to-point wiring, 2x500W@4ohm digital poweramp.
  12. Just wanted to thank everyone who has responded to my quest.
    I will be checking out all of your recomendations.
    If anyone knows about any other amp please let me know.
    Thanks again and HH to all.
  13. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I was just checking out tech's site and they have a 1x12 that they say weighs only 22lbs! Talk about "featherweight". Their 6x12 with tweeter is only 77lbs. I find those #'s hard to believe. It looks like interesting gear. Anybody have any experience with it?
  14. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Just another satisfied PLX user. Light, powerful and clean.
  15. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I'm waiting anxiously for the Epifani ultralight series of heads and combos - supposedly (joker back me up) they sound amazing. Rumor has it that they'll be available in a couple months?
  16. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A hearty second to this! :D I recently got my new Ultra from Walter and it's all that and more. For me, the best (and easily the lightest) bass amp I've ever owned.

Of course, if you're sold on a separate preamp, I'd change my recommendation to a Stewart World 1.6 or 2.1, both of which I own. Great power amps at 17 lbs.
  17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

after this winter NAMM, they will be readily available and shipping.

the 500 watt small housing version will be at NAMM. as well as a shallow, 2 rack preamp version of the Ultralight 500's preamp section! it'll be all SS, but from what the amp i heard, its pretty freakie. gorgeously hifi, yet warm. wont fool you thinking its tube, but sounds incredible nonetheless.

and speaking of "power amps", i'm pretty sure the prototype had a preamp in, so you can use the internal power amp, and bypass the preamp section. dunno if this will make the final version tho.

btw, yours-truly will be getting one of the finished amps as soon as they roll into the shop. VERY PSYCHED!
  18. Thanks again for the input from everyone.

I think I have narrowed the search, for the power amp, down to the Stewart 2.1, the QSC PLX 3402, or the Crest 8200.
    I know the Crest and QSC are more expensive and powerful. Which brings up the question of how much power do you need? I want enough power to articulate every nuance of my playing style, I am not doing stadium rock.I play clubs to coffee houses and for anything bigger,and in some clubs, I go thru the P.A.

Would the Stewart be enough power? It is certainly cheaper. Will it stand up? How is its respoonse time io fast attack lines?
    The cabs I have are:
    Epifani 1x12
    Glockenklang Tedd cab and their 2x10 cab
    Bag End Deep red 1x15 and 2x10
    home made cabs by Mike Frost 2 single ten cabs great for ABG's and URB's.

Eager to hear from you as always
    Happy Holidays, Mark
  19. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Both my Stewarts (1.6 and 2.1) have been trouble-free and reliable. And keep in mind, the Stewarts are true dual mono with separate power supplies. The QSC, for instance, is not.
  20. All of the previous suggestions are very good.
    I am a new comer to the Walter Woods Ultra Club. I'm totally impressed with it so far. Very warm articulate, and very easy to use. It's so light I laugh everytime I move it....
    I also have the PLX2402 and Demeter 201s rig. I'm very pleased with it also. Either rig usually pumps my Berg HT/EX112 cabs.
    Fact: I'm getting older and much lazier...:meh: