Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Fedora Imitation setting on V-Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LatinSatinJamin, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Anyone have any clue how to hook that up? Disapointed with the fact that you can't adjust the bass settings very much with the solid body in Vari Bass setting, any ideas?

[FF: changed spelling in title]

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Is it possible to make a Vbass sound like a hat? If so, I'm impressed.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Darn, I see I'm a little late to the "make fun of misspelling -fodera party" ;)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    What kind of Fodera? I mean the various models / pickups / etc can sound pretty different.

6. Oh, the kind that Vic Wooten uses on his solo albums, I know that isn't a great help, but it the best I could come up with, I just want his tone.

7. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    it probably wont happen. instead of buying the vbass for fodera tone, shouldnt you have just bought a fodera?

i dont like to beat a dead horses

but what the hell, tito rules! FREE POST!

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    [​IMG]

:D

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    http://www.mobilesucks.net/ubb/graemlins/horse.gif

That's so awesome. I have to remember that one!

Meanwhile - I tried making a P+J setup on the VBass last night. It didn't sound much like one. I think they have a ways to go in their modeling.

Also, don't forget that it's still starting with the basic tone that the strings & body on your bass have. You're only bypassing the pickups. Any modeling it does will be stacked on top of this. I've found that the natural tone of my bass (MTD Kingston for this, with medium gauge Elixirs) comes through no matter what setup I'm using - I can hear that it's a bolt-on with fairly soft body wood. This might be one reason why I can't get the Rickenbacker patch to sound very good?

10. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    hmmm, i think the rik sounds pretty good with my z.

to validate your point, i guess.

f

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I recently moved my GK2B from my 5 string Curbow (purpleheart body with fretted rockwood neck and Powerbass strings) to my 4 string fretless Curbow (mahogany body with fretless rosewood neck/fingerboard and TI Jazz Flats).

I think the fretless works better for the upright patches and a couple of the wackier options (the 8 string fretless patch works great on the 4 string, fer example), but the 5 string works better for pretty much everything else, and the modeled basses are very distinct (the ric sounds awesome).

The 5 string acts very much like a graphite bass due to the tight sound from the purpleheart/rockwood combination. I think this sends a clear, powerful signal to the Roland pickup which the VBass responds to very well.

Personally, if I were in LSJ's situation, I'd sell the Vbass, and buy a better bass. Like most things in life, crap in-crap out. Nothing against your bass, but if you aren't happy with the way it sounds, the VBass can only do so much if the bass itself is the flaw.

But, if you want to try to get Victor's sound, I'd suggest using the SVT amp settings with the 4x10/1x15 cabs, the soldbody bass with PJ set up and active electronics option. Drop a bunch of compression on it, and see what it sounds like.

I'd still upgrade the bass before trying the VBass route. It's like buying a 55" plasma screen to use with a 2 head mono VCR.... :D