best female bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MattK, Jun 20, 2001.

1. MattK

Jun 20, 2001
    atlanta , GA
    whats everyone's favorite female bassist? Mine is Rayna of Coal chamber with paz lechanin of a perfect cirlce running a close second....
  2. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Dunno her name, but the one from Kittie. I don't know how good her playing is or what not, but damn she fine! :p
  3. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    Meshell Ndegeocello is the FIERCEST female bassist I ever did see. She kicks ass. Her band rocks too, if they are ever in your neck o' the woods, I highly recommend them. If you haven't heard of her, check out "Peace Beyond Passion". Great, soulful, funky stuff. She's a hell of a singer and songwriter as well. Website =
  4. I agree that she is not the best female bassist of the music industry, but my favorite is kim gordon of sonic youth, i like her look and also even if sonic youth is a guitar band, kim is essential to them...
  5. Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads/The Heads/Tom Tom Club has my vote....I think she's great.
  6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  7. Meghan mattox from ' My Ruin ' ofcourse, she's like god to me.
  8. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Don't forget Gail Dorsey.

Ummm....maybe you've heard of Carol Kaye.
  9. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    D'Arcy. man, ya should hear her fierce Fender tones on the Pumpkins' first album ("Gish"). she never got much of a look-in after that, as Corgan and Iha started layering guitar crap everywhere and forgetting all about the bass :( assholes !
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Aimee Mann from TilTuesday ia a great player.
    Cheryl Crow can thump around pretty good on the bass to.
    Rana Ross is pretty killer.
  11. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    You know who I always thought was a cool female bass player was Sean Yseult from White Zombie. She wrote some pretty cool riffs and had a really cool tone. I dig Paz from A Perfect Circle but would like to hear here to more in the future. I agree w/ ToNeS about D'Arcy I was surprised when I heard their first CD about how cool some of the bass lines were and although I like some of their later stuff a lot I do wish the bass was mixed in better.
  12. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have to go with paz!
  13. Patalak

Patalak Guest

Jun 17, 2001
    USA Tampa Florida
    Without a doubt, Mishell Ndegeocello is by far the best woman bassist. In fact, forget the "woman" part of it. She is one of the funkiest, grittiest bassists ever! She so solid it's beyond belief. Take all the smooth and shiny stuff off of Marcus Miller and you have Mishell
  14. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Man i saw moby on hbo and was very happy with hes female bassist! not crazy about moby but she did some cool stuff!
  15. Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Rhonda Smith, Hands down!!!!
  16. Moonraker

Mar 7, 2001
    I did this thread a few months back and I still think Gail Ann dorsey rules , along with Meshell Ndegocello. Most of these metal bassists can't even play that good or you can't hear the bass!
  17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Joyce Sulks is probably one of the most proficient female bassists around.
  18. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    PIXIES RULE !!!!!!!!

Kim Deal: The root playing goddess.
  19. How about Sara Lee, she is a great player.