1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Fender Value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, May 2, 2010.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Dudes and Dudettes -

Really liking the p-bass/jazz pickup configuration idea - espescially because I am in a rock cover band. What do you think is the best value?

A used Aerodyne P-Bass for about $500
    A new Reggie Hamilton J for $900
    Or the New P-Bass Deluxe for about $1500

I am leaning toward the Reggie... thoughts?

2. I like the Aerodyne a lot. I'd say it's the best value of the bunch.

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Do you own one? (An aerodyne?)

4. I don't, but i've played a bunch of them. I was having back problems and almost bought one about a year ago. If I saw one for that price I definitely would have pulled the trigger.

5. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I've read great things about the Reggie, and it looks amazing. I'd get it

6. Edb

Edb

Feb 13, 2010
    St. Louis
    Have you thought about a P Special? These rock! You can probably find a new one in the $550 - $600 range.

[​IMG]

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Since Fender's recent price hike debacle the words "Fender" and "Value" should not be used together unless you insert "not a" inbetween them. Even the used market is climbing up to match the price hike. :rollno:

8. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Seriously think about a Geddy Lee jazz. Such a nice bass to play. To me, at least.

9. Hawaii Islander

Hawaii Islander Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Rio Rico, AZ
    Fender lowered their prices quite a bit over the past several months.

10. I had an Aerodyne and I could never get a satisfactory sound out of it. I tried Sadowsky pickups and SD Quarter Pounders. I have put QP's in my last 5 basses and they rocked every time, except for the Aerodyne. I replaced all the pots/caps and wiring and it still sounded thin. I thought it might have something to do with having two volume knobs instead of a selector switch or blend control. I tried both and neither helped. It is the only basswood bass I have ever owned, I thought it must be that. I never have been a big believer in wood being that big of a factor in tone, but after that bass, I wonder. Maybe it is just me.

I bought a Charvel/Jackson at a pawn shop for $125. I put some QP's in it and it was a ROCK machine. I loved that bass. I would still have it if I hadn't quit the eighties band and got offered a mint T-40 for it.

I don't know about the other two basses. Let your ears decide.... don't let someone else tell you what you will like. Trust me, you will waste alot of money that way.,

11. Jaguar, by far. $600 for a bass full of awesome. Active or passive, Jazz or humbucker, neck or bridge... So many choices and at the same time so many of the MIM Fenders I've played lately have had terrible necks and fretwork. Some of them unplayable and most of them worse than the Squier VMs I've tried. The MIA standard basses have been good, but not twice as good as the Jags...

Oh, and the Marcus Miller Jazz is way better than the Geddy Lee, but that's just MHO.

12. +1

13. The new Fender Ps are GREAT basses. I'd love to have the new Deluxe. My 08' P is so loud acoustically.

14. If we're talking value, then used is always the way to go. If we're talking preference, I'd get the new deluxe P. :)

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Best value IMO is finding a used MIA Jazz Deluxe or used P Deluxe.

16. If you want to go super cheap you can always get a Squier Precision Special and mod it down the line

17. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    They are still selling for $1200 for an american standard P bass last I checked. That is just silly. They were going for around $800 not that long. Not a value IMHO.

18. value? you won't believe this but a Squire vintage Modified if setup correctly will blow you away. I have had one for two years, been playing for 35+ and can't believe I got one for $269 at GC. My backup on stage has become my favorite for Funk disco hits with my band.