Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best finish/laquer for matching vintage Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PhatBasstard, Mar 26, 2003.

1. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Just finished sanding an arm contour into the body of my Tele Bass (73' a non-contoured slab body). I had considered re-finishing the whole body, but I've actually been able to make the wood on the now bare arm contour match the rest of the body (natural blond/now yellowed).

So my question:
    Whats a good laquer/finish/sealer to use that, after application and sanding, may best match the rest of the finish/laquer?

Thanks

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Have you ever looked for the Guitar Reranch?
    I stumbled across it late last year and they seem to specialize in the right products for restoring and refinishing instruments.

3. boilerbass

boilerbass

Feb 14, 2003
    Hudson, OH
    I agree

www.reranch.com

It has authentic fender and gibson colors in nitro laquer, as well as a good discussion board and lots of instructions. The owner is also really nice and helpfull. I did a warmoth bass using there products about a year ago and it came out great.

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Thanks guys. I just added it to my "favorites" list.

I was, sorta, looking for a product I could get in a local store that would work well. It's a small fix and isn't going to require much. Maybe something thats just sprayed on or whatever.