Best Flanger Pedal for Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slug Shell Basist, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Slug Shell Basist

Slug Shell Basist Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Hey, Im currently looking for a new flanger pedal to replace my Boss ME-B. I tend to like pedals that have a bunch of tonal options so if you know of one that isnt a ridiculous price that would be great.

2. i don't know what your tonal goals are exactly or your budget, but i play metal and use a old boss BF-2. they make a BF-3 now and the BF-2 is not in production, but you could find and old one for about $50-60 US.

you might also check out mxr and t-rex as well.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Line 6 tonecore liquaflange

4. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    A/DA Flanger or MXR Flanger.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a basic jet flanging sound, check out the mxr micro flanger.

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Boss BF-2. Industry standard flanger...

7. Slug Shell Basist

Nov 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    Ive been kinda wondering more towards the Boss BF-2 but im still not 100%

8. i believe the cat from tool plays a BF-2, i don't know if that helps or hurts, but......

hintz likes this.
  9. Slug Shell Basist

Nov 25, 2014
    Wisconsin
    It helps im mainly looking for a flanger that comes in and out in an eerie way. I play in drop c so i just have to check some things out

mattbass6945 likes this.
  10. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2005
    Jersey
    Sounds like you want something that can do a zero-through flange? The TC Electronics Vortex has that native, and has a wide variety available beyond that from the toneprint.

11. The Vortex is a good option, tons of versatility there. The Source Audio Orbital will also give you a good deal versatility, including through-zero (plus other modulating effects). If it is through-zero that you're looking for, there's the Mr. Black Tunnelworm. For some really out there flanging there's the SubDecay Starlight (which I just saw has been newly redesigned. Now I have to go back and listen to some demos). The BF-2 is always a sold option. It's what I've been using (but I don't play metal, though).

Somnambulance likes this.
  12. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    I want to see if I can coax a flange sound out of Sea Machine. Set the rate nice and slow and depth really wide and that should get it.

13. You can usually get chorus sounds out of flangers (by turning down regen and manual controls), but it's very hard to go the other way. But it's always worth a try. And the Sea Machine might just be crazy enough for it to work!

14. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey

Jan 9, 2014
    Northern Indiana
    I used to have a Joyo Classic Flanger that sounded better to my ears than any other flanger I had used. It may not be as awesome as some listed here, but for the price you could try it out and give it away if you didn't like it.

15. Somnambulance

Somnambulance

Jun 6, 2014
    JohnK recommends this so it has to be good.

16. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I use a EHX Electric Mistress in my sludge/doom metal band. It is a little cheaper than the Boss flanger, I like the finish of the pedal, and with the combined chorus feature you can get some crazy tones out of it. It is a very flexible pedal that maintains the lows and attack very well.

17. TerribleLiar23

TerribleLiar23 Anti-Scientologist Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2011
    RTP
    Deep Detune mode on the Bass Whammy. Shallow Detune for chorus. Sounds great, and saved me space and cash by kicking the dedicated modulation pedals off my board.

andrew likes this.
  18. i don't like the boss flanger. get the tc eletronic's flanger pedal. i wanna get the mxr bass chorus deluxe. im not sure if it would be good for metal, but it does get dark flanger tones and i could make it sound like an intro to a metallica song. i'm not sure which metallica sound it's from, but i'm pretty surethe intro wasn't made by a bass with a flanger effect.

19. i wouldn't call the bf2 versatile, but if you get it used and don't like it, you could always flip it pretty easily. if you have any well stocked music stores around, i'd say go plug in and see what ya' like!

20. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Smart.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021