Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best flanger under $100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embellisher, Dec 14, 2002.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I need to get a decent bass flanger and I am on a serious budget. What is out there under $100?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im really happy with my Boss flanger.

I have the older version, I think its called the BF-2. It doesnt have the different modes that the new one has or the dedicated bass output, but I think it sounds great.

Peace
    Nick

3. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Remember back when Boss released its brown line of effect pedals specifically for bass guitar? There were some real gems in that bunch.

I have the brown Boss Bass Flanger, and it's a pretty damn good effect. These are increasingly hard to find these days, so keep an eye open.

I also happen to have the brown Boss Parametric(yes, that's right....PARAMETRIC) EQ pedal. This is also a great little unit, but rare as hell now.

Brown was good.

4. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Remember back when Boss released its brown line of effect pedals specifically for bass guitar? There were some real gems in that bunch.

I have the brown Boss Bass Flanger, and it's a pretty damn good effect. These are increasingly hard to find these days, so keep an eye open.

I also happen to have the brown Boss Parametric(yes, that's right....PARAMETRIC) EQ pedal. This is also a great little unit, but rare as hell now.

Brown was good.

5. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    A little over your budget is the oh so nice Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress @ ~$130

I don't know if the money is a big issue, but this is a nice flanger, and a good break from modern sterile ones.

6. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Check out the ADA...a little over your budget but worth every penny!

7. embellisher

Does it get the heavy 'whooshing' sound? I have a song that I need that tone for, and a lot of the bass flangers I have tried don't have enough depth to the whoosh. And guitar flangers rob too much if the lows. I know that bass flangers do too, but not near as bad as the guitar models.

8. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    If you are looking for a cheap used effect you may try www.musicgoround.com .
    Try a Search on "Boss Bass" to get a list of Boss Bass Pedals. They currently have 2 Bass Flangers with one going for 39.99.
    Many items are only listed by Model number (such as "2F-FB" for the Bass Flanger).

9. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I have a Boss BF-2 Flanger which is one of my few non-boutique pedals but I still think it's wicked! Some of the prettier sounding flangers available are lovely on guitar but just not blatant enough to sound good on bass unless you want a very subtle effect. Plus it's a lovely purpley-pink colour...

Alex

10. Velocimaniac

Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    Alabama
    I just snagged a Boss flanger off Ebay(or rather, my mom did for me:D) for $52.40 including shipping and money order costs. Not a bad deal at all. Look around on ebay and you could probably find as good a deal with a little patience.:)

11. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Get yerself a DOD FX72 Bass Flanger. Best bass-dedicated flanger ever made IMHO.

12. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Boss BF-3!

Mine f***ed up on me (only because it was the one the store used, I think, but generally they are regarded as very good)

They definitely can get that heavy whooshing sound. I love the gate/pan effect.

Oh yeah, and if it matters, it has a stereo output

13. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    www.musicgoround.com has 2 DOD FX72s (Bass Flanger) for decent prices - one at 29.99 and one at 39.99.
    I think the Boss BF-2B sounds better than the DOD though.

14. embellisher

Thanks for the info, redneck.:)

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Today I bought a used DOD FX 72 Stereo Bass Flanger at GC for $25. I talked him down from $35 because there was no battery door (surprise) and 1 of the output jacks was missing the nut and had fallen inside. When I got home, I opened it up and put a new nut on the jack, and stole the battery door from my dead sampler/delay and now I have a *great* flanger!

It doesn't cut the lows at all. If anything, there's a slight boost when you kick it in. And it's in stereo!!! If you crank all the knobs it can get close to a chorus sound. I've been getting a very fun slap tone with it. Another good thing is if you put it at the end of your fx chain, it will flange any hiss (that your other pedals might generate) right along with your bass tone, making the whole chain quieter.

One weird thing was that inside on the circuit board it said FX75B Rev, maybe they use the same board but put different components on it for different pedals.

16. I picked up a Danelectro Psycho Flange Triple Thick Flanger for 39 bucks at Musicians Friend right now. Not for everyone but it has really thick lows and a nice swoosh, it also overloads like the older analog flangers (which I like). Really trippy retro looking in a mint green with gold wings and a peace sign. ;)

17. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i just got a dod rack unit with some KICKIN effects for 85 bucks :eek: ! tsr 12...t ry to find one and you wont be sorry.

18. I'm in the same situation as Embellisher - looking for a cheap flanger with a really pronounced "woosh."

I tried the Boss BF3, but that wasn't *that* much of a "woosh", IMO. It was quite a subtle effect, even with the depth and the resonance controls up full.
    Though the "Gate/Pan" effect was very cool and the "Momentary" function was fantastic - I wish all flangers, even most pedals had this*.

If I ever see one secondhand, cheap, I'll pick it up, but I'm not gonna spend cash on it new.

I'll try that Danelectro flanger - it sounds good (apart from the colour scheme) and the kind of thing I'm looking for. If this thread is still alive after I've tried it, I'll say some words about it.

*Yes, I plan to mod it into several of my pedals now. I *think* it should be quite easy.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I bought a Behringer Virtualizer to cover all the cheesy effects that I'd use once and never again. goes for 80-140$ depending on which model you buy. Oddly enough, the reverb is really good! Crazy flange too.

20. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Another vote for the old Boss BF2B brown flang, I have had one for years, Great effect and they can be had on the bay for around 60 bucks.