1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Flanger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bpd024, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bpd024

bpd024

Aug 6, 2007
    What's a good flanger

2. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    The searching flange with oscillating results by Google Talkbass search!

Ah, excuse me. I didn't realize that you just joined this month. Please do a search before posting new threads because it is more than likely that it's been discussed before. Also, there is no "best" flanger because gear is always subjective (unless it's flat out crap - but even then it's arguable). Also read the stickies!

Things to search for:
    flange, flanger, boss bf-2, bf-3, dod flange, etc.

And welcome to Talkbass!

3. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    TBer's love the MAxon FL-9 but I still use the BF-3 can't complain about it.

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Also, there was just a thread on the EHX Electric Mistress reissue -- the old one was one of my favorite flangers.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1

6. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    the old ones!!!!...if you like frieid eggs sunny side up!!

7. Amokoma

Amokoma

Feb 4, 2007
    Norway
    I'd recommend the Lovetone ?-flanger.

8. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    ... no one's mentioned the Maxon FL-9 other than me?

Youre lying is beneath you and thanks to the use of hallucinagens I see through you.

9. Zeemno

Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    Two tapes being flanged manually for through-zero-flanging.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

Great Flanger. If I had room on my board that would be the next pedal on it. I miss my FL-9 dearly.

11. I like the BF-2. Im looking at checking out a Stereo Electric Mistress, but I can't find any sellers shipping to Australia as yet :(

12. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I use an MXR Flanger. It's pretty cool so I'd recommend checking it out.

13. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    You mean the EVH one? It's definitely got a wide sweep range and however IMO it doesn't cut thru too well, ie you can't hear the swells too well, and that's between me, a drummer and keys.

14. The EVH one would be more geared towards a guitar sound if anything I would think?

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    a vintage Eventide Clockworks flanger - they were over $5,000.00 when new in the early eighties. Their new stuff is unparalleled - check out:

http://www.eventide.com/

Their cheapest effect unit, the Eclipse 3.0, is amazing, and the sky's the limit from there, in both price and performance. Check out soundclips at:

http://www.eventide.com/eclipse/eclipsounds.htm

They do have a new line of stompboxes coming out: one is delays, the other modulation effects, including flanging. They haven't built a bad unit yet, those guys, so I imagine they are going to be wonderful for the price. You can check them out at:

http://www.eventidestompboxes.com/

Time Factor is just starting to ship now, so no reviews yet; Mod Factor shipping later this fall.

If you want flanging, these guys pretty much wrote the book.

EBS stereo chorus does some nice analogue flanging as well, for a reasonable price. Certainly better than the Boss, etc.

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The EVH Flanger is the same thing with a switch to go to Eddie's settings on one of his songs, so far as I know. I can't remember which one.

17. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I happen to enjoy my fried eggs sunny side up very much.

Heh, I think this falls under "there's no accounting for taste" and the electric mistress tasted like pure metallic sounding flangey goodness.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    +1

I have yet to try the Deluxe Electric Mistress, Polychorus, or the new Stereo Electric Mistress on bass...

...but if David Gilmour's guitar solos are any indication of what to expect, I think I might like them. :D

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    Unchained

20. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I've been asking for feedback on the Ibanez FL-9, but haven't gotten much info on it.

I did find a site that explained the relationship between Maxon and Ibanez, which was pretty interesting. It makes me wonder if the price difference between these two is really worth it...