1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Flat screen for 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheVoiceless, Oct 5, 2010.

1. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hey TB,

I want to pick your collective mind to help me choose a new TV. Here is what I am looking for, 42" to 50something inch, wall mountable, HD, with a decent amount of inputs.

I'm completely lost between the different choices in TV's these days. Between LCD,LED, Plasma, 3DTV , that TV with the fourth color, the TV with built in apps. I am not sure what the best TV to buy would be. I plan on keeping for at least 10 years I hope. So I would like something that won't burn out and won't be outdated.

So to all my Techie bass players, what would you buy?

2. I have an LG 50PK550. It's a lower end set in comparisons to some, but it's got an absolutely great pic. It's 50" plasma, 1080p, and very thin, with a nice thin bezel around the screen.

For a lower-priced set ($1,200 when I got it) it compares favorably to my brother's Kuro Elite. The black levels are not as deep, but other than that they are very, very similar in terms of picture quality. Mark's Kuro was 3x as much, too!

I think that 4th color thing is nothing more than marketing. I think Plasmas (generally speaking) have better black levels than LCDs. LCDs are definitely better if you plan on gaming though, as Plasmas can have issues with burn-in and image retention. LEDs are rail thin, but again, my LG set is just over an inch thick. Very comparable to the LED sets. The 3D sets I've seen did not impress me at all, plus you've gotta wear the silly glasses. The apps are kinda cool, I guess.. But only if they are apps that interest you. You def. want 1080p, the highest (current) resolution. If you go LCD, you want 120Hz or higher refresh rate. Avoid the 60's at all cost!

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    For me, AVS Forum is the "TalkBass" of home theater. Here is a link directly to Display Devices.

It is everything you want to know, including reviews.

-Mike

4. Good call, Mike. That's a GREAT site!!!

5. Here's my living room with the LG unit on the wall, for reference...

LR4.jpg

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Nice bro. Did you run the wires, or were they already there for you?

Is that a speaker above the bass? Nice base trim too.

-Mike

7. Thanks, man. I ran the wires. Was a massive PITA, as that's an insulated outside wall. Took hours to run them!

That is a speaker above the bass. Polk Audio speakers, all wall mounted (5.1) except the center, which is a Polk CS10, with the wires behind the moldings. The bass trim is the cheap addition to the room, as it's an SX! :p

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Just bought a 52" Panasonic Viera Plasma that I'm quite pleased with.

9. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I will take a look, Thanks!!

10. TheVoiceless

TheVoiceless

Jun 11, 2008
    New Jersey
    I like the LG companies products so that is defiantly a candidate. I was thinking of purchasing a PS3 at the same time as a TV, so some gaming would be involved. But I don't spend hours playing, and may decide to keep my gaming on my PC.

I have heard people suggest LCD's over Plasma's based on the image burning and also screen life. But I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for the detailed reply and photo!!!

11. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    Agreed. Fantastic source of info.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021