1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best flats for a '51 P-Bass RI?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JimmyThunder, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Looking for that old-school THUMPA-THUMP.

D'Chromes? Deep Talkers? TI's?

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    D'Addario Chromes in Extra Long, (for the string-through bridge)... Just my opinion, but it's the string that gets my money!

-robert

3. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ya gotta agree. When i got mine didnt know the reg long scales were too short :mad: Tried TIs didnt like them at all way to honky on that bass with that pup. It now has TI powerbass rounds which sound nice but i am soon ordering extra long scales to replace them.
    I dont like old school thump flats thats why i choose TI or chromes for some mids and a tad bit of zing.

4. I'm using GHS Precision flats on mine.
    Very old school sound.

MM

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Don't ignore the Fender flats! They don't get as much attention here as the Chromes and TI's, but they are perfect for that application.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    While i agree tone wise they are great strings the tension is downright brutal.

7. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Thump comes from higher tension, in my experience.

The Jamerson La Bellas and the heavy Fender flats are the thump kings, and I believe it is mostly due to the tension. Heavy gauges just won't "ring out" like lighter gauges do.

Now, you can get thump from even the lightest flats, but if thump is your only criteria, you must consider heavier gauges.

8. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Absolutely! Also, don't ignore LaBella's, TI's, RotoSound's, GHS, etc... It's all subjective, and they're all fine strings with many loyalists for each brand... I just always seem to find myself coming back to the Chromes, so much so that I don't need anything else for me personally!

-robert

9. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    LaBella is a good pick, in my opinion.

10. Can't tell you what the best are, but I have D'ad on mine, and I like 'em.

11. Well thanks y'all. I just ordered me some D'ads. Glad I learnt about the extra-long scale thing, that would have really bugged me if i got it wrong.

12. Ive got Ernie Ball 105-45 flats on mine. Very thumpy, not too much tension - try em...