1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Flats for Hi-Flyer bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    hey guys,
    I am ordering an Eastwood Hi-Flyer bass and was wondering which set of flat wounds you think would suit it better:
    LaBella 760fs 45-105
    or,
    Pyramid Gold 40-100.
    Which one has more definition, more sustain? How are their comparative tensions?

Thanks,
    Bassdude15

2. Both are excellent. Pyramids last even longer than Labellas, which blows my mind...because Labellas last for decades.

Labella Deep Talkin' Flats for me...I've had them on an original Aria Diamond (Hi-Flyer predecessor) and they sound great.

3. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    What can you say about their sustain? I love flat wound thump, but sustain is a real concern for me here.

4. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    My sense is that there is an almost directly inverse relationship between "thump" and "sustain"--the more of one the less of the other. The two brands you mention are both at the "thumpiest" end of the spectrum. Between the two, LaBella flats have marginally more sustain and definition, because Pyramids are just about the thumpiest flats ever made. You may prefer to try a slightly "twangier" flat brand, like Fender, Daddario, or Rotosound (twangiest of the lot, IME).

5. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

Feb 26, 2013
    Nashville
    All of those brands you mentioned are WAY to bright for my taste… the Rotos on my Bronco took for ever to lose that roundwound-like snap… I just haven't had time to change them. Probably going to sell it when I get my Hi-Flyer, anyway.

6. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    When I had my Hi-Flyer, I wish I never sold it, I tried different strings and my favorites were GHS Pressurewounds.

Enjoy.