Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Flats for Latin- Salsa on Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by noelpaz, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I've been using D'addarioChromes but I am really interested in anybody's experience. I used Thomastik Spirocore on the upright but I have a precision type bass guitar that is fretless. I also have higher action and use medium to heavy gauges but still the D'addario is still to mwah-wy -- Any suggestion for latin-salsa reggae players out there. I followed the rules and did a search but only one turned up -- DR Lo Riders roundwounds

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    A serch of the string "Flats" should yield some decent results...... :cool:

Im in a similar position, though I prefer smaller gauge .40-.120/.130 tapered strings.

These are the strings Im considering:

TI Jazz flats
    SIT PowerFlats
    LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats
    GHS Pressurewound
    Lakland Joe Osborn flats

I was pretty surprised that Oscar Cartaya uses SS RW.'s on his basses. Sooo..... Im going to also try some nickel's, ( Sadowsky, Smith and DR. lo-riders) as I only have one bass that has to be versatile enough to do other styles equally well. Hopefully they will yield a good balance of depth and punch.

:edit:

BTW... another good source of bass related info.: ;)

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=flats

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=strings

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I would say go for the TI flats, but not sure how much *mwah* they give up. Something about those TI's that can make an electric bass sound "upright-ish". Even a hack like me can get that tone with a little string muting and thumb plucking. Also, they're real thumpy and strong in the midrange which should serve the latin/salsa style well, but again that midrange may emphasize the *mwah*. Absolutely no twang at all. The tension is very loose and requires a lighter touch but should compliment your high action.