1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Flats for Latin- Salsa on Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by noelpaz, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I've been using D'addarioChromes but I am really interested in anybody's experience. I used Thomastik Spirocore on the upright but I have a precision type bass guitar that is fretless. I also have higher action and use medium to heavy gauges but still the D'addario is still to mwah-wy -- Any suggestion for latin-salsa reggae players out there. I followed the rules and did a search but only one turned up -- DR Lo Riders roundwounds

2. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    A serch of the string "Flats" should yield some decent results...... :cool:

Im in a similar position, though I prefer smaller gauge .40-.120/.130 tapered strings.

These are the strings Im considering:

TI Jazz flats
    SIT PowerFlats
    LaBella Deep Talkin' Flats
    GHS Pressurewound
    Lakland Joe Osborn flats

I was pretty surprised that Oscar Cartaya uses SS RW.'s on his basses. Sooo..... Im going to also try some nickel's, ( Sadowsky, Smith and DR. lo-riders) as I only have one bass that has to be versatile enough to do other styles equally well. Hopefully they will yield a good balance of depth and punch.

:edit:

BTW... another good source of bass related info.: ;)

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=flats

http://www.bgra.net/2004/index.php?content=feature&page=strings

3. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I would say go for the TI flats, but not sure how much *mwah* they give up. Something about those TI's that can make an electric bass sound "upright-ish". Even a hack like me can get that tone with a little string muting and thumb plucking. Also, they're real thumpy and strong in the midrange which should serve the latin/salsa style well, but again that midrange may emphasize the *mwah*. Absolutely no twang at all. The tension is very loose and requires a lighter touch but should compliment your high action.