1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best flats for string-through body?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gremson, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    So I just picked up a 90s Ibanez ATK300. Holy balls is it rad. Of course, the first thing I did was restring it. I picked up some Labella flats and went to town. While tuning it up the A string snapped at the angle in the bridge. Thankfully the folks at the local shop swapped out some fresh strings for me and the new set are doing me just fine.
    But now I wonder if I’m in a precarious situation and will experience a string break at any moment having flatwounds at such an angle.
    I’ve read that string through bodies aren’t the most favorable for flats, but are there any flatwounds that take the bends better than others?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    La Bella makes strings specific for thru body stringing.

Besides those as long as the length is correct you can use any flats thru body. Depends on the tone you would like which is what is best for you.

BazzaBass and MoeTown1986 like this.
  3. La Bella is the only company who explicitly warns against thru-body installation for their standard Deep Talkin' Flats.

Most people around here will tell you they've strung flats of most other brands thru-body with no issues.

BazzaBass likes this.
  4. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Haha. Of course I’d make the uninformed decision to buy the only flats that would say that!
    Maybe I’ll put some rotosounds on order. I’ve been wanting to try them out.

5. Fenders or Rotosounds -- I have them on 3 through body basses as we speak -- no complaints

Aqualung60 and 2saddleslab like this.
  6. Keep in mind, though, that La Bella (= thumpy) and Rotosound (= bright and clanky) are almost at the opposite ends of the flatwound tonal scale.

If you want something closer to La Bella in terms of overall tonal character, you can try the GHS Precision Flats, which should be okay for thru-body installation as they're more pliable than La Bella flats.

BazzaBass and Gremson like this.
  7. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    Awesome. Thanks so much. I’ll give GHS a try.

michael_t likes this.
  8. I use the light set (3025, 45-60-75-95) on my P bass and find them very pleasurable to play on as they're not overly stiff.

unclebass likes this.
  9. Gremson

Gremson

Mar 22, 2012
    North-Leftern USA
    I just ordered the 45-105 set. I like em a little stiff. I look forward to breaking them in! Sounds like there's a bit of a waiting period before they get real good.

michael_t likes this.
  10. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    D'Addario Chromes, Fender Flats, GHS Precision Flats all will worth with thru-bodies.

I have GHS Precision Flats on my CIJ '51 Precision and they sound great for that old school, thumpy, woody sound.

BEADG63, michael_t and Gremson like this.
  11. All flats do need some break-in period, some longer than others. Give them 2-3 mths before passing any judgment. Also, keep in mind flats shine the best in a live band mix.

12. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    And a recorded mix.

Hell, they sound pretty good solo IMO too. :smug:

2saddleslab and michael_t like this.
  13. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    FYI Roto flats are stiff like coat hangers.

14. waynobass

waynobass Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Ernie Ball Cobalt flats. Strung through my Classic StingRay with no problems for more than a year now.

MegaSwing likes this.
  15. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I’ll suggest TI flats. Just because they’re the best sounding and feeling string I’ve ever played. I have 11 basses, all strung with TI’s. Three of the are thru-body Jazz 5’s and 1 is a CIJ 51 Precision. No issues.

16. Did you catch what @Gremson said about "liking em a little stiff"?

17. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I do the upkeep on another bassists stuff here in town (he knows nothing about equipment!).

I keep Chromes on his G&L L2500 strung through body. No issues. Have to use the Super Longs though.

18. Allan Allan

Allan Allan

Mar 25, 2018
    Can't you just string them through the bridge?

19. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    I have found Chromes, GHS Precision Flats and EB Cobalt Flats to be pretty forgiving when stringing thru-body.

20. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I just put some Dunlop flats on a jazz bass through body. No problems. They sound Great.