Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Flatwounds for a Modulus VJ4

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Yamarc, May 25, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I have a Modulus VJ4 with fender classic 60's pups I currently have some old DR lowrider nickle on the bass and I would like to dial in a more old school sound...think...Me'Shell.
    Anyone have any experience with flats on a Modulus? especially a VJ4? I was thinking tomastik flats, but I am open to other suggestions as well. Thanks

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I've used a few different sets on my VJ. I really liked the TI Jazz Flats - not as thumpy as some, but they were very warm and had a very sweet midrange. The medium Fender flats are great if you want more of an old school sound - nice and thumpy, but not nearly as 'musical' sounding as the TIs. Between the two, I preferred the Fenders. I love the thump, and found the TIs to be a bit too loose for my tastes. I'm trying D'Addario Chromes now, but haven't had them on long enough to make a solid judgement yet.

3. I don't have a Modulus, but I currently have Labella Deep Talkin Bass flats on my Stingray and love 'em. Bright, but thumpy. Smoothest flats to the touch that I've felt. Very balanced sounding from bottom to top. Also, you might like Rotosound 77s. Similar to Fender 9050s, but more mids. The Fenders have the most thump, but I like the LaBellas best. (for now)

Mike ;)

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    doesn't meshell use this TI Flats (with great results)?

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have used TI's and Chromes on my Mod Q5. Both are good but the TI's have a better defined midrange - to my ears.

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    any other biters? I think I am going to buy some jazz flats (TI) sometime tomrrow, unless anyone talks me out of it. Thanks, Marc

7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Well, after spending some time with the chromes, they're not bad. Somewhere in between the TIs and Fenders. Thumpier than TIs, but they have a sweeter midrange and top end than the Fenders. I really don't think you can go wrong with the TIs, though. Even though the tension is a bit too low for my playing style (I play up near the neck and love to dig in), I always keep a set around for recording purposes.

8. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, TI Flats oughta do the job nicely, assuming you like the feel/tension. I currently have my new VJ4 strung up with TI Powerbass and it offers great slap tone. For whatever reason, however, I'm not happy with the mids on this bass. Might have nothing to do with the strings, of course... :eyebrow: