Best flatwounds for pickstyle classic rock on P-Bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ObeyDaRiffness, Sep 28, 2016.

1. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    I currently have some cheap flats on my Squier P-Bass, but since I'm gonna soon get an used American Standard P, and I'm thinking about forming a band with some friends, I started thinking about what strings I should use. I want something like the Roger Waters tone, something that can still growl a little bit and be powerful but keeping the sound smooth, I want no "zing" but still a crisp soung.
    I considered ground and pressure wounds, but they do not convince me.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    gfen, selowitch, dannylectro and 2 others like this.
  3. ObeyDaRiffness

ObeyDaRiffness

Sep 25, 2016
    Thanks mate, I checked them out and they sound perfect

4. As far as I know, Roger Waters used Rotosound flats.

That said, I personally like the picked sound of the Chromes on a P bass for myself for the tone you describe.

Atshen likes this.
  5. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I had Chromes on my P5 for several years and they sounded fantastic. It was a great rock bass with them on it, especially with a pick. I prefer my Stingray 5 and usually use that, but the guys I play with loved how the Precision sounded (with the Chromes as well as with the Lo Riders that I put on next).

I wanted to try something different and so it's wearing LaBella Deep Talkin' Flat's right now, although I haven't yet play it with the band yet. It still sounds great but, to me, it's not the rock bass it was with the Chromes. But that's fine with me. I still have other basses that are great rock basses.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I used to use Chromes and I'm currently digging on a set of Dunlop flats that would also be right up your alley.

7. Chromes are great pick style, but I wasn't a fan of the feel of the string fingerstyle.

I REALLY love my Sadowsky Black Label flats 40-100, esp with pick. Detuned a semitone they are even better.

ColdEye, Yahboy and basslust like this.
  8. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    What tone are you trying to emulate (given what is available in the market, not what they actually played)?

Sir Paul - Old Maxima flats no longer made - closest is Optima RB flats
    Carol Kaye - Old Fender flats no longer made - closest is La Bella
    Roger Waters (or more precisely, David Gilmour) possibly Roto flats

Fender 9050 - growly
    Ernie Ball - not quite so growly
    Chromes - zing fading to thump

And so on with the other sets as other folks will post.

9. TC.65

TC.65

Dec 20, 2008
    Carbondale IL
    I have to vote for Chromes on this. To me they have a great tone and are versatile. Really a great string for any style music. I don't have much experience with different flats as I've only played the Chromes, Dr Legends, and GHS Precision Flats with the Chromes being my favorite.

10. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    +1

11. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Carol Kaye used Fender medium gauge flats with a pick.

12. HiEnd Basses

HiEnd Basses

Mar 4, 2016
    I'm a Rotosound guy, and if really wanted flat sounds, I'd try the Jazz Bass 77's. But I've never played them before.

13. Zach Soczka

Zach Soczka

Jan 25, 2016
    Try out some Ken Smith slick rounds.. they are half flat.. my favorite strings for pic/slapping

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Chromes. The ECB81 (45/65/80/100) set is my favorite after trying the ECB84 and ECB82 sets.

The Fender flats are good too. They sound really good on their PB.

I like Rotosound strings. Been using their 66 Swing set since they first came out. But I don't like the high tension of their 77 flat set. And I don't mind a bit of tension. I tried them on a Squire VM Jag Special and I took them off about a week later because I was afraid of the stress they were putting on the neck. Even with the trussrod loosened significantly. I also tried them on another bass I have which has a much more substantial chunky C-shape maple neck. And although the 77s didn't bow the neck prior to adjustment quite as much, the tension was still high enough to be uncomfortable for me to play.

15. As a huge Roger Waters fan, I've tried the Rotosound flats that he used and they were dead on. Heavy pick close to the bridge and you will sound like him.

JMacBass65, funkytoe and BassGreaser like this.
  16. I am very happy with my D'Adarrio light gauge chromes. I use a pick for some songs and they sound great. Very comfortable on the fingers. ;)

17. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    +1 I have a set of Dunlop FW 5s on one of my basses and really like them. Rotos are good too, but these fell less rigid and sound great.

18. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    • Rotosound Monel Flats - 77. Yes, Roger Waters used them. So did Phil Lynott (Thin Lizzy) and John Deacon (Queen). I've got my Hofner strung with them right now and love how they sound when played with a pick. If classic rock is the sound you are going for, these are the strings that made a lot of those records.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  19. Thumper19605

Thumper19605

Jun 29, 2013
    Subjective, however my favorites are LaBella low tension flats.
    Love them the thump without the pain.

quickfix, miles'tone and woodyng2 like this.
  20. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    My vote is Cromes. But if you like high tension strings, PM me. I have a lightly used set of Rotos (I think 77's). I gave them a try---- way too stiff for my liking.