Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best flatwounds to use with a J-Retro

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Aug 16, 2005.

1. I have an MIA Fender Jazz with a J-Retro. The pickups are the stock American Jazzes and the bridge is string-through. What would be my best bet for flatwounds?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Why would the preamp matter?

I use the same flats on evey bass, passive or active, and they are TI Jazz Flats. The TIs have a good feel and they break in well. I don't change them out much, and I play them a lot. I have a J-Retro that I have installed in several J basses and I always liked the way the TI Flats sound on them.

I've alo used D'Addario Chromes in light gauge and I like them a lot as well, but they sound darker and not as even as the TIs.

3. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    sorry, left my computer unattended, "friends" typed an answer
    on top of some of my answer. I edited it out for being rather harsh.

I was going to say something along the lines of Fretless rock.
    I don't think the preamp should make that much of a difference. Find the strings you like and use them.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    it always seemed to me that d'addario's were a little brighter than the TI's. not much, btu a little. but that the chromes had a bit darker bottom that the TI's. maybe my hearing is going. anyway, i just htought they both boosted the lows and had the highs and mids there, but i thought d'addarios were more mid/high present. coudl it be a matter of eq and what not?

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Surely could be. That is what makes discussions about gear so maddening. I had a fresh set of both and compared them. To me the TIs are all about the mids, and I play rock with them and like the way they cut without being harsh in the high end. I'd say that you are right on the Chromes: more in the bottom and top, not as much mids. My high end hearing is OK, but I have an 8k ring (tinnitis) so maybe it biases me.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ah ok. cool. well i push a little mor mids in my eq than the average guy i guess. mayeb that would play into what im hearing as well. ill have to get some TI's. ive yet to do it and try them, but i will. thanks

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    With a preamp, IMHO it shouldn't matter if a string is a bit middy or not. Unless it doesn't have a midrange cut/boost (which I believe the J-retro has) you can always dial in a little more, or cut it back a bit.

My MIM's are passive, with DiMarzio's.

The fretted has TI's-they seem to work well with the Ultrajazz pickups in it.

The fretless has Chromes-the Model J's have a more pronounced midrange than the ultrajazz, so the chromes work well with these.

Given your situation, I would recommend either Chromes, or TI's. It's just gonna be a matter of what you like best, cause YMMV.

8. Thanks for the info! I'll probably go with the chromes 'cause I've heard they have a bit of a brighter sound (which I could always dial out) and they're definitely cheaper. I've heard that TI's last forever though - is that what you've found?

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

IME, the TI's do last a long long time :hyper:

The chromes should too. Usually a good flatwound will.

Hope that helps :bassist:

10. The bridge on my Jazz Bass is only string-through - will these work for me even though they aren't tapercore?

11. I went with TI Flats on my MIA Jazz.
    Love them. However, if you are looking to retain some of that Growl I suggest Chromes.
    I went with the TI's because they eliminate much of it but I can get some with the right EQ and Attack.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Allow me to dissent on the TI flats. I gave away the set I had because they were all midrange and springy feel. I much prefer the 6 year old Labella stainless flats I had on there before, so I put them back on. I wouldn't buy a set of strings to accent the preamp myself. Just use whatever you think is good.

BTW, non-tapercore strings work just fine on through-body bridges. That was a myth started by tapercore fans and salesmen.

13. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've owned basses with thru body stringing. Always used non-taper core strings on them, never a problem. Never heard that myth before myself, but the way some folks try to market stuff, it doesn't surprise me that it existed.

I go with what sounds good on a particular bass. D'addario has worked best for me, so thats what I use 99 percent of the time. I like the sound of TI's for recording, but like a heavier string when playing in a full band situation.

I agree-use whatever works best for you. Different strokes for different folks.

14. Do you use, or have you used, the Chromes?

15. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Not with a string thru design. I'm currently using them on my fretless jazz. I really like them. :hyper: