Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best flatwounds?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Drei, May 14, 2004.

1. Drei

Drei

May 11, 2004
    I've only played with roundwounds, but i can't get rid of some fret-noise. I decided to try flatwounds, and was wondering what kind people at TB thought were they best sounding kind.
    (I play fingerstyle and I want something that sounds warm and full and probably 45-65-80-100s).

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Fender flats are great, AND cheap!! They are a wonderful round warm full tone. Very thumby :p

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    For that, BIG, PUNCHY & MEATY sound that'll hit you and everyone in the chest with it's smooth soulfulness, get D'Addario Chromes; your bass will love you for it! :D

4. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122802

AWWWW, this has been asked numerous times......but.......I love the Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats. JF344's and JF345's

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122802&highlight=flat+wound+strings

Check out string types and what they are made of, cores and windings can vary, from brand to brand.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103016&highlight=flat+wound+strings

You might even consider half-rounds, they are a combination flatwound/roundwound string.

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm the biggest promoter of flats you'll ever meet- haven't touched roundwounds in 10 years- but getting rid of fret noise could be related to things beside your string choice. Bu all means, try some flats (it opned up a whole new world of tone fo rme), but if you're getting buzzing on just a few frest, you may need to have your frets dressed. Also, check out your left finger placement. You should be fingering right before the fret to reduce fret noise.

I think Labellas are of a much higher quality than Fender flats. Pyramids are beautiful as well (but I refuse to get accustomed to such expensive strings).

6. As for my choice for flatwound strings, I've settled on "Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats" and "D'Addario Chrome Flats". I like them both and have a set of each on my two basses (strung separately, of course). I'm a big fan of flatwound strings and have never really cared for rounds any time I've played them. Could be it's because I learned on a bass strung with flats and that's the way it has been ever since.

7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I've tried a whole stack of different flatwounds, and IMO they're all good, you just have to find what you like. Right now, I have Pyramids on a P-like bass, and they sound pretty durn good. However, some people don't like them, and some people don't like TI Flats either. But TI's are also amazing strings.

In terms of fret noise, I've found that the higher tension strings, particularly stainless strings are noiser. No surprise there. But I think that a softer final wrap like nickel (TI, Pyramid) also helps quiet things down.

As others here have recommended, a set of D'Addario Chromes might not be a bad place to start. I like them better than Fenders, although my experience with Fender flats has been good as well. But Chromes can be had in a fairly low-tension set, and they have a nice sound.

8. pholt

pholt

Apr 20, 2004
    try the Fender flats...I just switched to flats and the things are wicked,warm thumpy round sound.Trust me they are nice.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Does Fender make a set of flatwounds for 5 string basses? I'm looking on musiciansfriend.com and can find just about anything except those.

10. anastasio24

anastasio24

May 24, 2003
    Maryland
    I am trying out some Ken Smith Slick Rounds on my Quantum 5 right now and they sound great. I am probably going back to round wounds but I have tried several flats or semi flats and I have to say that the Slick Rounds have sounded the best for me. More punch than the others. I have even managed to slap on these things pretty well. Mike Gordon slaps very well on these strings.

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Nope.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap. Well, there's always the expensive stuff. :)

Thanks, man.

edit: D'addario makes Chromes in a 5 string set (just checked their website). I believe I'll check those out when I get paid.

13. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    hey, whats the difference between flatwounds an roundwounds? someone PM me the answer, to make this place less hell. haha

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    SIT makes great flats!

I've got them on my Ibanez Destroyer, Hamer 5 fretless and Benavente fretless 6 string (to be delivered tomorrow :hyper: )

Flatswounds = flat ribbon wrapped around the core
    Roundwounds = round wire wrapped around the core

Flat = less overtones, less sustain, more fundamentals and more thump

Rounds = fuller, brighter, more complex tone, longer sustain

or some such :smug:

15. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm using the same things on my Quantum. I love 'em. They are rounds that have been ground flat. Similar to what Treena described as half-rounds. You get some of the brightness of rounds, some of the big full bass sound of flats and NO fret noise :hyper:

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I think that depends on the tone you go for, if your after highs and mids, but with lows I've never experienced a loss in sustain in flats.

I don't think RWs are any more complex sounding as flats; and fuller, give me a brake.

17. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    How much sustain does one need, anyway? It can't be that much of a difference even if there is one.

18. Redhotbasist, this photo will allow you to see the differences between roundwounds, flatwounds and halfrounds!

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

[​IMG]
    Treena

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    There isn't, I get the same amount of sustain out of a bass with flats or rounds, and I need a lot of sustain, the band I'm in does a few songs that have slow sections, filled with whole notes.

I don’t think you can arbitrarily separate you strings from your bass, amp, hands ect. The last time I played my bass through a hi-fi-ish amp [I was trying out the cab that went with it] I was amazed that my bass with 4 year old flats sounded like it had rounds, I was able to get all those zingy and tinny sounds, I promptly switched to SVT [through the same cab, which I did buy] and all was funky.

20. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    See, that's what I was thinking.

I have got to try these "flatwounds" you people speak so highly of. Come on, Friday!