1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 21, 2008.

1. I'm looking for a flat, bassy sound, so I've turned to Flatwounds.

My budget is up to about $35 ish

So, what do you recommend for the best Flatwounds?

2. I've used Fender, LaBella, Roto, GHS, Thomastik, and D'Addario. I like the D'addario Chromes and the Thomastik Jazz flats on my Jazz5 and GHS Black nylon tapes on my P bass. I haven't tried Sadowsky's but I will for my next set.

-mike

3. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    D'addario are the only ones I have tried. They are nice but very loose, if you like tight strings they maybe not for you.

4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Try Lakland Joe Osborn flats... The first true flats I liked. Very comfy in terms of tension, and not very expensive. $30 per set... wonderful strings!

www.lakland.com

5. I have tried plenty of flat wounds and it's LaBella's hands down for me.

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I like Fender 9050s and EBMM Flats - but they're high tension, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

8. Fender 9050 .45's...i swear by 'em

9. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Deep Talkin' Flats for me.

10. Deep Talkin' Flats anytime for me. I also used D'Addario Chromes and liked the sound and feel as well but nothing beats LaBella IMO.

11. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    A question: are all flats "loose" or just the D'addarios?

12. For $35 max? Try the webstrings flats. I've not tried them personally but a lot of people seem to dig them.

13. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    D'Addario chromes is not loose at all. I use the light gauge chromes and the tension is pretty much the same roundwound.

TI flats is loose.

14. GianGian

GianGian

May 16, 2008
    The tension is the same but they are much easier to bend.

15. Tony Gray

Tony Gray

Mar 6, 2006
    I like Ernie Ball flats.

I quit drinking the TI kool aid because they tension is too low to suit me. But, they're great strings, and they suit lots of other people.

16. + 1 for D'addario Chromes and Ernie Ball flats. I don't think I'd consider either "loose" but the D'A's are a little 'looser' than the Ernies (which seem to take a little longer to break in).

17. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    TIs are my favorite thus far, but they are a bit pricey.

Sadowsky flats are nice too (but different) and should set you back a few bucks less.

18. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    Seems a little a trend between La Bella, Chromes, and TIs. I have La Bellas on my beatle clone and they and play good. But I have been thinking about the Chromes.

I am putting the next set on a Dean Stylist which is a 32" scale should I use medium or long scale strings?

Also where are the best deals for flats right now?

19. freshbass

freshbass

Jul 17, 2004
    vermont
    Hands down(ptp) the best are Thomastic Infeld JF344 Flats, expensive @ 50-60$ a set but they last for years. I put my first set on my 65 Precision 3 years ago and the back up set is still in my gigbag.
    www.juststrings.com

20. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Imperial guitars, in NY, offer LaBella 760 FM's and FL's @ $27/ set......great people to deal with:)