1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Sep 21, 2008.

1. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1. My favorite flats so far. I had a set for eight years on my fretless and only changed them to get the heavier set on there.

Actually, I like to blend the heavier D and G with the medium (lighter) E and A (and B as appropriate).

KO

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Roto 77's!

3. Holy, alot of different strings to choose from

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    +1 for TI jazz flats

5. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Just ordered a set of Sadowsky Flatwounds... I'm hoping those to be the best ever :smug:

I've used Labellas Deep Talking Flats, and Daddario Chromes, and TI's to this date.

Labellas (On P Bass) - Still My Favorites, but looking for a little more aggressive tone while retaining the flatwound-ness... Also, the tension is OK, but a little less would be nicer for me I think. A little too scooped on my E strings (Using SD Antiquity II, which isn't helping... was too deep and non-defined at times on the E string)

Chromes (On P Bass) - Nice tone, not as "phat" as the Labellas, and more agressive when digging in. Tension is better, but still not my ideal at this point, but only tried them for a short time and my bass wasn't quite setup to my liking. Very "Ringy" strings on Harmonics and when just letting strings ring out was more than I was used to with the Labellas. Nice ringing I guess, made me laugh, but almost seemed too much. I will give these a try again however with a brand new set (tried an old used set) if I don't like the Sadowsky.

TI (On J Basses) - I have them on a fretless right now, but have also tried them on variuos J basses. Sounded great in the mix, but I just don't care for the feel on the, and still not used to the tone. They seem to be breaking-in nicely on my fretless however... I'll most likely keep them there for a long time, as I don't really use the fretless during gigs. I don't plan on using these again on a fretted because the tension is just doesn't work for my playing style.

I hope that helps.

6. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

TI-JF344- great strings, I dig the tension, eazy to bend.
    Great fretless string.

Labella-760- the Jamerson set.
    Great on my fretted P-bass. (old school tone)
    Heavy tension, take getting use too.
    Big tone.