Best flea control for cats?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheFantod, May 27, 2012.

1. Advantage II for Cats

2 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Frontline Plus for Cats

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. Something else (please post)

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot.

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Time to order flea control for my cats. They are both indoor cats, but my dog brings fleas in from the outside.

I've had great success with Advantix for my dog, much better than Frontline Plus.

I was wondering about Advantage for Cats vs. Frontline for Cats. Any opinions?

If you use something different, better, please post!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. - Yes, I know there is a difference between Advantix for dogs and Advantage for Cats.

2. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Buy a monkey...

3. My two cats had fleas last year. The vet gave me Frontline, and it worked astoundingly well. For two days after applying it, I would literally see fleas falling dead off the cats. Vacuumed the house a couple of times and that was it, no more fleas. I haven't used any of the competing products, but when something works that well, I'm not going to switch.

4. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Flamethrower!

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Frontline.

Last time we saw fleas, the vet told us to use FrontLine,
    and it annihilated the problem instantly.

7. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Yeah well, the bad thing about flea control and other such substances that work well is that nature adjusts itself. Fleas are getting more and more resistant to the formula Frontline uses.
    I've always used Frontline, but a couple of weeks ago my vet advised me to start using something different (for the above mentioned reasons)

8. pokol

pokol

Mar 22, 2012
    I know Modulus had some products for fleas, can't be sure though...

BadumTSCH!

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If memory serves, we tried advantage and it kinda worked. Then we picked up frontline and crushed them like the blood sucking parasites they are. One dose and they haven't returned in over a year.

10. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    In Florida where fleas are tougher than Navy SEAL's, there is a dog preventive available by vet only called Trifexis and buddy let me tell you what, that stuff works WAY,WAY,WAY better than anything else I've tried and I've tried it all, twice. It also protects against heartworm and intestinal parasites.

It's about $20 a month or so.

If you can keep them off the dog's, and that will, most of the over the counter stuff will do for the cat as long as it's an inside cat. You may not even need to work the cat over at all.

Before the Trifexis, everyone in the house was miserable, I was burning money OTC and the cat had to go to the vet maybe twice a season for that shot that costs about $90 when the fleas would mount their counter offensives.

11. Square

Square

Apr 9, 2012
    Fresno
    My grandfather used to dip his dogs in a bucket of gasoline. Killed ticks, fleas, and the occasional puppy.

12. Best flea control for metal?

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, had to.

my-cat-has-fleas.jpg

14. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    The poll is not valid as carrots are not in there.

Just sayin'.:smug:

15. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I use advantage and use the wives tale of scattering coffee grounds where the animal lays. We don't have a flea problem. My cat is an outdoor cat, fwiw.

16. And don't forget that you can get the Frontline generic at PetSmart, Wal*Mart, and elsewhere for half the price - works just as well.

Pet Armor, I think it's called?

17. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Oddly enough, a friend of ours who is a vet said that blue Dawn dishwashing detergent will annihilate fleas on dogs. Don't know about cats.

18. I used to use a generic frontline and let me tell you it does absolutely nothing. My cat's (a long haired Maine Coon) flea problem got so bad I actually had to flea dip her myself a few times in the tub. Little to no change.

I gave the cat to my mom and her vet gives the cat some kind of pill. I have never seen a single flea on that cat since. I wish I knew what the name of the pill.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal

Frontline works short term but wore off kind of quickly; Advantage is the way to go. IMO.
    Be sure to also spray around the house to kill eggs and fleas that might be looming in the carpet and other such places.

My experience was the exact opposite.

The generic version worked even less than Frontline itself.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021