Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best for fingerstyle rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bazzanderson, Oct 21, 2004.

1. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    yeah...I know...threads like this can get tiresome but here it goes. I've got a SUB5 that I love....BUT....I'm thinking of upgrading to either a MIA Deluxe J5 or an MIA Deluxe P5. Kinda leaning towards the Jazz because I love the body shape and the bridge pickup is in the perfect spot for me to anchor my thumb (I've owned one before and stupidly sold it). That being said what do you guys think would yield the best "rock" (whatever that means) tone using flats?
    Thx in advance for your input.
    -Bazz-

2. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ive got a SUB5 :)

3. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    You cant really go wrong with either; though I would give the J a slight bump above the P simply because it is more versatile (IME).

I would also choose the bass that is the most comfortable and fit my hands best, which is one reason why I play a Skyline 5 instead of a J5. I find the string spacing on the J5 too close for my tastes.

Ive never cared for P.'s personally, but there really isnt anything "wrong" with them, they just dont fit me.