Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best "for the band" Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FunkMachine, Jul 17, 2004.

1. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Again, sorry if this has been brought up before, but Im new to the forums.

I think Timmy C from Rage Against The Machine (and Audioslave) is one of the best contemporary "for the band" bassists in the rock genre.
    Especially in RATM, he layed down many solid head-nodding basslines whilst Morello went on effects frenzy.

Ive also heard that Adam Clayton from U2 does a great job at being a bassist "for the band", but Im not really a huge U2 fan and cant judge that.

What do you guys think?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Fieldy. Love him or hate him, he's good for KoRn.

3. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Billy Gould from Faith No More, actually on the last couple albums they did, he was the producer too.

4. Adam Clayton, definitely. Also, JPJ for Led Zeppelin.

5. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Newstead when he was with Metallica.

Actually I think his role may have been a little undermined in the band...And apparently they didnt let him write much material. But still, he kept things solid.

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    For as much money as he was making, I'd be a puppet too.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Listening to the drivel that Jamiroquai is putting out, apparently Stu Zender was good for the band. Also, I don't think any other bassist could've played with Bohnam (RIP) or Moon the Loon (RIP), so I second JPJ and add the Ox (RIP) to the list. BTW, who else could've played in Level 42, beside Mark King?

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Right on :bassist: , Jason is a solid Bassit who contributed alot to Metallica Material with his style.

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Robert Deleo fit right into the STP chemistry, one of my favorite bassist. Adam Clayton play just enough for the U2 style.Ben Sheppard with Soundgarden i think also fits this.

10. FunkMachine

FunkMachine

Jul 13, 2004
    Dubai
    Zender is possibly my favourite bassist. And what he did for Jamiro, especially in thier early acid-jazz style albums, was amazing.
    Nick Fyfe did a good job too, but it was easy to see the change in style in the band..and by "A Funk Odyssey", I was quite disappointed in the direction their music was taking.

Apprently the new jamiro album is pish because their new bassist is simply a "friend of a friend" lousy rock bassist. This is only what Ive heard though, but without a great bassist to back up Jay Kay, that band will slowly fade away. Zender was great, Fyfe was good, new guy is bad (Apparently).

11. glydebass

glydebass

Dec 3, 2003
    Atlanta Ga
    Mike Gordon brought it to Phish like no other can. He really held up his end with the utmost perfection for their sound.

12. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Ben was one of the first names that popped into my head when I saw the thread title. Good call.

I'll add the guy from Dave Matthews Band whose name escapes me right now.

13. Technically, I think Flea is damn overrated. But as far as groovin' for the Peppers goes, I think he's perfect.

14. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Leon Wilkeson
    Patrick Dahlheimer
    Geddy
    +1 for Newsted and JPJ

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)