1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Fretless Bass Under $800?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryevick, May 17, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I am considering picking up a fretless 4 string later this summer and would like to keep it under $800 or $1000 with a hard case. Fender is my first thought but I am open to ideas... I would like to buy new unless I find a really good deal on something. Any suggestions?

2. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Jun 22, 2010
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    I Have played that one too... and I think I'll be buying one soon ,with a case , flats , and maybe a cable/new pups for around $600 (Mex Fender Fretless-J costs about $610)

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Yep. If I were looking for a 4 string fretless under $800, my first stop would be to try a Squier VM. If I liked it, I'd stop there and pocket the change.
    Only if I didn't like it would I keep looking.

4. I'm totally digging my MIM Jazz. I may even have the fingerboard professionally epoxied.

5. The Squier VM is best NEW buy hands down. Why they don't ship these with flats is beyond me, but probably the only thing I'd change at first. Stock pickups are Duncan designed (Asian built) and sound pretty good. I would rather have a rosewood over the ebonal fretboard, but for the money it's fine.

You could do what I did and be on the look out for clean already modded MIM Fender Jazzes. I have 2 fretless with aftermarket pickups, bridges, straplocks and hardshell cases I got for around 500.00 each including shipping. Both were spotless. Used fretless usually sell for less than a comparable fretted model as well.

6. Kaleidescapist

Kaleidescapist

Mar 4, 2011
    When I went hunting for my fretless, I was pretty determined to get something new. Where I live all I could find new was Fender and Squier, and I didn't end up liking the Squiers at all, or the Mexican Fenders. What I did like, though, was the late-80s Peavey Foundation S fretless I found for at a vintage instruments shop. It's got a wonderful streamlined neck, plays and sounds exactly the way I wanted a fretless bass to, and came with a Sherman tank of a hard case and a little practise amp and the necessary cables. Not bad for $350. I do understand wanting something shiny and new, something that doesn't have a history with anyone else but you. Sometimes new is overrated though, in my book at least.

7. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    When I was in the same boat, I found a used EBMM Sterling. I'd had the VM and a Yamaha BB350F before. The Sterling for me is many times more satisfying than either of those.