Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best fretless for 1000$ and under

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the_faceless666, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Cort Curbow 5 or 6 string fretless

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Carvin 5 or 6 string fretless

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. Fender mexican jazz V fretless

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. Other...

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  1. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    I'm a seeking for a fretless bass, maybe a 5 string or a 6 string. I have come accross alot of basses, and I still can't decide on wich one. I play mostly jazz and funk-fusion stuff. I,d like to know wich one is the best for my needs.
    I may also slap on this fretless.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i would suggest looking at an mtd kingston fretless 5. great basses, and they can be had for about 500 bucks. they come with a phenolic board (some had ebony boards---you can get them with lines, too) so you can get a really nice slap sound from them. buzz feiten tuning, 35" scale, i don't think you're going to find a bass like this in it's price range.

3. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    But it doesn't seem very versatile, there are almost no controls.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's the beauty of fretless... it's all about your hands;)

5. I thout Cort didnt make fretless Curbow 6s. I ave a Curbow 6 I defretted that i might want to sell if your interested

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you can get fretless cort curbow 6ers direct from greg. they're lined, i believe.

7. Maybe it has changed but it used to be that greg would defret it for 100 dollars(I think).

8. you might consider looking at some used stuff. you never know what people are going to sell. I see great deals in the for sale forum here all the time. you might be able to get a peavey cirrus or some high end fretless under a grand used.

that said out of the ones you mentioned I have played a fretless fender J and liked it. you could replace the electronics and get it sounding awesome.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We have a winner! Buy the Cirrus fretless from BassNW before somebody else does. The Cort Curbows are decent, but the Cirrus blows them away. I almost chose a Cirrus fretless 5 over my Zon fretless. I also liked it better than a Pedulla PentaBuzz.

10. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    ditto on the Cirrus ;)

11. A Mellor Instruments fretless. I have one, and to say the least it owns. He is also a member of TB. redbassman86. If you don't mind driving to RI to set down specs for one, go get one. They rule. And on that note, I am getting a fretted 5 of his making, so I will have plenty of pics once it is built, and I can pay for it.

12. the_faceless666

the_faceless666

Mar 3, 2003
    Canada
    Well thanks to all of you.