Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best fretless for $400 new

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by savethegibbons, Oct 2, 2004.

1. savethegibbons

savethegibbons

Nov 29, 2003
    I'm in the market for a fretless (which will also be my first bass). What models would be recommended at a similar price to the Fender mexican J? I'm not concerned much about brand, I'm looking for a bargain :).

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    One of my friends has a Yamaha RBX270 fretless 4-string that he quite enjoys playing. Perhaps that's a good choice for an affordable fretless. I have no experience with that bass or with fretless, but my experience with Yamaha's basses in general has been positive.

3. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    if i were you which i am not but if i was then i would choose a fretted bass as my starter bass because it is easier to learn the fundamentals on. but if i were you then you would be me and you would probably get a fretless and then i who would be me subconciously would have learned on a fretless and might not be the same player anymore, and while were you you would be you sub-conciously and would know how to play bass because i would be you and i already know how to play bass. but if i were you then i would be the one posting asking the question and you would not be you sub-conciously you would be me which is not you but is me and i would still be starting to learn the bass. you dig?

4. savethegibbons

savethegibbons

Nov 29, 2003
    Whoah, heavy. :eek: Anyway, I'm not a total newbie at bass. I have played a friends fretted bass quite a few times when it has been left over at my house, and have also played guitar for 4 years. I really dig the sound of a fretless bass, and have wanted to start playing one for quite a while now.

5. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    get a MIM fender fretless Jazz. its tight

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Get an SX fretless jazz. They're better than the MIM Fenders and 30% of the price.

7. savethegibbons

savethegibbons

Nov 29, 2003
    Yeah, those Rondos do look pretty appealing. I constantly hear great things about their guitars. Keep em coming and thanks. Any more comments on the feasibility of starting on a fretless would be nice too. Has anyone successfully gone from guitar to fretless bass? I must admit that I'm kind of up for a challenge, something very new. I did actually consider taking up saxophone, and even upright bass as well :).

Also, I already fingerpick on guitar, although it is of the classical guitar type, which should help the transition at least a little bit.

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    dude if your gonna play the sax play the bari sax. been playing it since 7th grade and it never gets old. and SX basses suck IMO.

9. Foo-O-Matic

Foo-O-Matic

Aug 10, 2004
    Israel
    if you can add another $100 you can go with the Warwick RockBass Corvette Basic, they are considered very nice for the price.

10. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have a Cort Artisan B4 fretless. Great feeling and playing wenge neck, bartolini mk-1 pickups. Bought mine new for $350 of ebay.

Have gigged with it and usually take it to practice as my only bass. The preamp is very good, and you can bypass the active mode and play as a passive preamp.

11. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    That's a Cort? Looks very nice. Headstock reminds me of Ibanez Soundgear.

12. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey man.. the MIM fretless jazz bass is great.. go try them out and pick a really nice one...then put on a new pickguard... i dont like those cheap white pickguards. i bought a balck fretless and black pickguard it looks great. the sound is tight and i always get compliments on its tone. btw you can get a great jaco sound on it. put some rounwounds on it.

13. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    There's no problem starting on fretless, I think it would even help out your ear abit. You could start on an 11 string if you wanted, it just takes devotion. There's a SUB Sterling Fretless which if you could save up a bit more for I hear is excellent. MIM Jazz, SX, maybe a Spectorcore 4 (I tyhink should be around 500ish...)

14. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS

The SUB fretless models usually go for $650-700 though...that's way out of his price range by that point.

15. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Regardless, they're better than MIM Fenders and Squires.

16. Wishbass! My first fretless is a Wishbass....LOVE IT! Mine was $300 and is very nice sounding and very nice playing.

Warning: If you're after cosmetics go for the MIM (and eploit the Mexican labour force, too)

(I'm waiting for Brownebass_210 to dispose of the notion) But 100s of satisfied Wishbass players across the globe will agree with me.

17. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Those wishes are ugly, and not built too well.

But as shown in the TB Buys A Wish thread, they sure do sound cool.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Have you played one? I just bought one, and my jaw drops everyime I pick it up.

19. I have a MIM Fender Jazz Fretless, first bass I bought too.

[​IMG]

It cost me $1,500 approx., but that's in Australian Dollars so it could be cheaper where you are. I have no idea.

20. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    no way dude i played one and hated it. it just felt all wrong. the fretboard was like an unshaven face... well not that bad...