Best fretless for percussive / slap techniques?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I'm finding myself more and more drawn to switching to fretless for my main bass, specifically, a fretless 5-string. But, in addition to playing a lot of regular fingerstyle and some pickstyle, I use a lot of slapping and assorted other percussive techniques that seem to rely on the frets being there. What, in everyone's opinion, is the fretless bass that works best with all these playing styles and that still has a killer fretless "mwah" and growl?

I'm drawn towards graphite-necked instruments for this with phenolic/diamondwood/rockwood/whatever fingerboards, since the fingerboard won't wear down the same way a wooden fingerboard would. What are your thoughts?

Other essentials would include a two-octave fingerboard and dual pickups. If I have to have something custom-made, that's cool as I'm prepared to wait, but some pointers would be useful.

Russ :bassist:
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Roscoe LG-3005, the one with the diamondwood fingerboard. No question there. That bass is a very impressive slapper. I just got a new one from Keith, and it's every bit as impressive as the last one I had. It's a superb instrument just in general terms, and it's truly amazing for slapping. Never heard a better fretless slapper.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Those are gorgeous, Dave. I'm havin GAS pains now. :)
  4. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    I used to have a Aria TSB550 which I had de-fretted, but also had what the luthier (Jimmy Moon) called a "Slap Plate"fitted.

Basically it was a small brass plate inlaid into where the last couple of frets would have been.

Worked a treat !

5. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    I recall seeing a benavente with that slap plate gadget too, might look cool and do the trick, but its something that may not be necessary, I admit I only tried this old beat up fretless one time, but the slap sound seemed ok on it. :bassist: