1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best fretless - jazz, P, or P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 8, 2003.

1. jazz

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. precision

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. P/J

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. hey i know i haven't put many choices down but these are the choices i am faced with now i am thinking of convertin one of the above to fretless. love to hear some views. :bassist:

2. P's and P/J's arent that great for fretless, your gonna want a kind of trebly MWHAAA to it, so the P or P J isn't perfect, I think humbuckers are cool too

3. well, Jaco put the fretless jazz on the map, and that tone will always be one by which others are measured by.

i don't like P/J's in general, but i think a fretless P is kind of cool, and a fretless ray would be even better.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't forget about the Pedulla Buzz basses; the 4's and 5's have a P/J setup, and they're wonderful fretli.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I voted for P... I know that the above sentiment is probably held by most, and I do love his tone, but I have a special fondness for those mid-seventies fretless maple P's... and when I was a kid, my buddy's brother, a fantastic bass player, had an early 70's rosewood fretless P that he'd let me borrow... simply the best bass that I had ever played to that point...

-robert