Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best fretless - jazz, P, or P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 8, 2003.

1. jazz

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. precision

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  3. P/J

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. hey i know i haven't put many choices down but these are the choices i am faced with now i am thinking of convertin one of the above to fretless. love to hear some views. :bassist:

2. P's and P/J's arent that great for fretless, your gonna want a kind of trebly MWHAAA to it, so the P or P J isn't perfect, I think humbuckers are cool too

3. well, Jaco put the fretless jazz on the map, and that tone will always be one by which others are measured by.

i don't like P/J's in general, but i think a fretless P is kind of cool, and a fretless ray would be even better.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Don't forget about the Pedulla Buzz basses; the 4's and 5's have a P/J setup, and they're wonderful fretli.

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I voted for P... I know that the above sentiment is probably held by most, and I do love his tone, but I have a special fondness for those mid-seventies fretless maple P's... and when I was a kid, my buddy's brother, a fantastic bass player, had an early 70's rosewood fretless P that he'd let me borrow... simply the best bass that I had ever played to that point...

-robert