Best fretless jazz under $1k?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jun 13, 2005.

1. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm looking at the Fender Jaco (used) or KSD proto 4-string fretless. Or possibly building my own with Warmoth parts and SD Antiquity II pickups. Any advice? This will be my first fretless. Thanks!
  2. If you're not deadset on having a jazz shaped body, will build you a bass with jazz pups for under a grand that will beat any fender around IMO
  3. I was just getting ready to recommend the Hamer Cruise. I had one with the 2Tek bridge and it was great. The only reason I got rid of it was to get my Pedulla!!!!!!!! Speaking of which, you can often find Buzz basses for around a grand, and I don't think you will get a better tone. Diamondkote fingerboard, bart pickups, figured maple, neck through. You get a lot for the money with those. But you have to be willing to move away from the jazz shape. I was, and I am thrilled with the results.

4. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm not sure if i want to leave the Jazz bass world... i play a '64 original, and you'd have to rip it from my cold dead hands before i gave it up. I've considered a P-bass body w/PJ pickups and a jazz neck, just for some variety... but either way, i'm tied to the traditional look, feel, and sound. No offense, but these fancy modern things just look goofy to me :smug:
  5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I certainly would. And I'd echo the sentiment. Great basses!
  6. I'm another Hamer CruiseBass lover. Used USA CruiseBasses are nearly always available on e-Bay for ~$500. When it comes to quality of wood, quality of components and build quality, you can't beat them.
  7. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the feedback! :)