Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best fretless play (except jaco)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DerVedel, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Searched the forum but found nothing... Not even sure it's the right forum...

What do you think is the best fretless play you have heard, in pop, jazz etc.?

My favourite is Pino Palladino on the Phil Collins track "Do you remember". That's for its: laying down rythm section, subtle finess supporting the number fully. Heard of it? Check it out

Well... What is you favourite?

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Just about anything by Alain Caron. His solos are very musical with blossoming notes for lack of a better term. Usually plays a six string fretless F bass.

3. Gary Willis: "It's Only Music"

I wish I could play like that.

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
  5. Re: Cottle

I second the nomination.

6. I love Caron, Jaco, Cottle, etc...but I think some of my favorite f-less basslines/bassplaying belong to Pino Palladino, especially his work with Paul Young.

7. djcruse

djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    Everyone mentioned in this thread is terrific. I would also like to add Mark Egan's name to the list. I really like his sound.

And Steve Bailey is an underrated master.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think this has been done before, even the except jaco bit.

I'm going to say Pino and Tony Levin. They both use it very smooth and subtle. Where you'll be like "Is that fretless?" and then they'll do something lead esque and you'll be like, "That's fretless!"

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pigs
    Hey You
    Spirits in the Material World

10. Wolf

Wolf

Jan 30, 2004
    Israel
    Willis'! Pretty much everything he does is pure magic. Michael Manring! His tone gives me goosebumps. "The Book Of Living And Dying" is a personal favorite...

11. Shouldn't this be in the "Bassists" forum?

Re: Egan

I second that nomination too! (am I allowed to nominate more than one bassist?)

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Randy Tico of Matrix.

13. I dig anyone who can nail it on fretless - it's hard but it sounds great when you get it - my fave (aside from Jaco) has to be Willis - but Laurence Cottle kills as well - here's a little taste of his ridculous chops (and this is just based on 'Rhythm Changes', makes ya sick):

http://www.laurencecottle.com/music/media/ram/LC_BigBand-IGotRidovEm.ram

He's such a mellow guy too - he's the epitomy of the phrase - "Play exciting, not excited."

M

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Percy Jones has done some great fretless stuff over the years. I still like his work with Brand X the best (guess that's just my age). Try listening to "Product" or "Do They Hurt?"

One of the most distinctive styles/tones I've ever heard, on fretless or any other instrument for that matter. And chops... well... I think I need to go and practise...

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    PINO!!!

16. I think Bona does a amazing job on the fretless :smug:

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There is no best. All the guys mentioned are good. You should also check out Jimmy Haslip.

18. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Claypool's pretty good.

:bag:

19. I vote mike flynn :D

20. Alphonso Johnson, Mo Foster and Jimmy Johnson are on my list of fretless favorites along with all the others mentioned.