Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Fretless Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cabooke, Aug 7, 2002.

1. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Hello fellow bassist. I have a Carvin LB-75 fretless bass with the j-pick up on the neck side, and a humbucker on the bridge. I don't like the sound of this bass. I had the oppertunity to play on a Pedulla Buzz 5, and the tone and punch was amazing. Will a change of electronics get me this sound, or is it in the construction of the instrument, or both. Thanks much for any insight.

2. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    All the fretless Pedullas I've ever seen/played have a hard coating on the fretboard (I believe it's epoxy) which has an influence on the sound,making it brighter.They also use Bartolini pickups which are my favorites.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Pedulla has one of the best fretless tones I have ever heard. The hard poly coating on the fingerboard is one of the ingredients, the Barts are another, and the all maple body and neck have something to do with it too.

Only one other fretless that I have played sounds better, a Zon Sonus Custom. So I bought one.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    the Pedulla fretless is one of the best along with Brubaker,Warrior,and Fabregues just to mention a few.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...played 'em all, bought the Zon.

(And workin' where I do, I do get to pretty much play 'em all! :D)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Probably not. I had an LB75F, all Koa with an Ebony board. Swapped out the two J pickups and 2 band EQ for all Bartolini. Nice but still not what I wanted. Not even close to a Pedulla Buzz. Later I found a couple of basses I like a lot more than the Buzz basses.

I love fretlesses. I have a Zon Legacy Standard 5 and a custom semihollow Elrick NJS 5 and I'm toying with the idea of a K4B Brubaker 5.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a Pedulla Thunderbolt 5 fretless and a Lakland 55-94 fretless. The Lakland has a wider range of tones and is very decent, but the Pedulla rips it a new orifice when it gets down to mwah factor. Pedulla is the definitive fretless sound. I think the BuzzBass has even more mwah. You decide.

[​IMG]

8. Don't forget European stuff guys ... 6 months minus one week and a half to receive my Marleaux Fretless Edition ....

According to some sources, THIS is the best freless ... I hope so!

6 months minus one week and a half, minus 5 minutes, 6 minutes, 7 minutes ... countdown started.

9. You really owe it to yourself to play a Zon before you decide. I had a Carvin fretless that I was also not happy with the tone (even after trying several sets of strings). I played a Pedula Buzz and immediately sold the Carvin. I owned the Buzz for a week before I played a Zon. I took the Pedula back and got the Zon.

Pedula makes a great fretless bass. So does Zon. Try 'em both before you decide.

Jeff

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    This one:
    [​IMG]

11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Been playing a fretless Wal for 18 years and I'm still blown away by it.

12. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have a carvin 6 fretless and i guess i just got a good one because the tone is delish. i am a hard core buzz bass man too. i have heard bad bad things about that humbucker from carvin. your problem might be in our setup ( neck relief ect) or it might not me the bass for you. i personally stopped drooling for the buzz once i played a brubaker. i am also extremely happy with my carvin and my fretless jazz. if i ever descide to go up though definately the brubaker. do a search for namm pics and go to my sight to see jauqo and me partyin at the brubaker booth.

13. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    jesus, how many times do i have to drill it into you people's heads?!?!

fretless is for WIMPS!!!

"oooh, look at me, i'm all expressive!!!"

GAK!!!

get a fretted and forget the rest!

f

14. dabassr

dabassr Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Tx
    I've got a Godin A5 that has a real smooth sound, and plays quite well also. Not a real power bass, but has an almost acoustic sound.

15. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    You said it !

But honestly, as someone who also owns a Zon fretless...can we just join hands across the continent and get rid of this fretless plague.
    It's just a fad people...I give another 2 months. Maybe 4 for uprights.
    :D :D (sarcasm is on the house)