Best fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CJY, May 15, 2001.

1. CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    What's the best playing and sounding fretless u have ever tried? Please provide details of the bass.(body/neck material,pickups,electronics,hardware....etc) Thanks!
  2. For me, the best fretless I've ever played is a MIM Fender Jazz:

Alder body
    Maple neck
    Rosewood fingerboard (lined)
    Passive MIM Fender Jazz pickups
    Passive MIM Fender Jazz electronics.

Its dead stock. I am afraid to alter it lest it lose its "mojo".

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A tie between my PentaBuzz and Michael Manring's Hyperbasses (Yes, the man's own instruments)

My Steinberger's up there too. I just like the Zon neck better.

Will C.:cool:
  4. Speaking of Zon Hyperbasses, here's one for an insane, insane deal.. I have no connection to this auction, but someone with some $$ to spare really oughta jump on this..
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Hyperbasses are actually pretty tough to move for any serious money, Dave. I can't recall seeing one go for more than ~$2500. The one on eBay does have the Hipshot detuners and detuning bridge, which is optional.

My favorite is still my Legacy Standard fretless 5.
  6. I also have a Fender Jazz fretless. Made back before the starting laying down fret lines.

MIM is short for Made In Mexico, correct? Mine also has the alder body, maple neck and passive pickups /electronics, but clearly states that is was manufactured in Japan, back in 1995.

Is mine a MIJ Fender? :)

Ah, it's an awesome bass. I just strung it up with some GHS flat brites that give it a striking double bass tone. It's darn near eleven pounds, though. A 5" strap helps keep my shoulder from aching too badly.

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I played a lovely new Warwick in Denmark Street, it had a walnut body, ebony fingerboard and pao ferro neck, fretless for £450 new. It was a new model and you can apparently buy an active kit for about £80. It was nice...
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My own Warwick Thumb set up by Martin Peterson at the Gallery-Ovankol body wenge neck ebony unlined board. MEC electrics.

I liked a Sterling at Bass Central, I think it's Beaver's. Natural ash or alder cant tell and dont care. Pau ferro lined board.

I played a Lakland 5 (my first) and expected to be blown away and wasn't. It must be me they are not bad basses. Flame maple top ebony board and white scratchplate. Dont have a clue about electrics it had a load of knobs though.

U-Bass 5 string hollow body piezo driven headless 5 with no knobs etc-wonderful.
  9. Without a doubt... Zon. Either the Legacy, Sonus Special, or a Hyperbass. Really smooth feel. Versatile tones. It suited my playing style very well. From slapping, popping, or tapping to a fat finger tone. The Zon takes the prize.!!!
  10. I played a very nice walnut Peavey Cirrus fretless 4 once. I'm an awful fretless player, though, so I'm no real judge (what is this "mwah" of which you speak?)
  11. I've recently purchased a Taylor AB-2 with fretless neck; I wasn't particularly interested in getting an upright sound, but I got it now! I've been using it at low volume through a G-K MB150; a very satisfying tone indeed. My Carvin B5 isn't too shabby if you're looking for a straight ahead fretless bass guitar sound (the price is right)
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Something by Pedulla. They're known for their fretless sound. Mine's a T-bolt 5. Can't bitch about the Lakland 55-94, though. It has a much broader range of tones.

13. And yet another Pedulla vote, I have a 4 string Buzz and of all the fretlesses I picked up this is the one I bought.

Great Bass no question.
  14. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    My Stingray 4 unlined pau ferro with piezo is just my cup of tea.
  15. That would be a MIJ Fender, yup. Sweet bass, by the sounds of it.

How do you like those brite flats? I've been thinking about experimenting with some different strings.

16. FF, I really like the flat brites. No string slide noise and they are super slinky (easy on the fingers). They aren't the brightest strings, but give a nice mellow double bass tone.

I see you have a MIM Jazz Fretless. Ever played the Japanese version? I would be interested to know differences.