Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jay43, Feb 3, 2006.

1. jay43

jay43

Jan 4, 2006
    looking to buy a nice fretless bass I have my eye on the warwick corvette. anyone have any other suggestions comments? I'm looking to spend a grand, I really want the Fender Victor Baily Fretless but can't justifly spending that much any comments would be appreciated

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I love the fretless corvettes. I think they sound fantastic. You should be pretty happy with that if your price range is a grand. You may be interested in what carvin has to offer too. I own an LB75 fretless from carvin and I am very happy with it. The price at carvin is fantastic too. The construction is top notch.

3. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    if you are gonna play a fretless warwick, just put strings on a louisville slugger

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    lol....someones not a fan of warwick....

5. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    hey now, there's no call for that.
    It's not a trussless wishbass... :bag:

6. Sell a bass or two & get a Stambaugh. Mine:

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    a stambaugh would be kick ass, but what is the price tag on something like yours?

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    it doesn't matter how much..

its all about saving your money, it takes a long time, but its worth it when u get an instrument that will truly outlast your life time

9. PMin' you.

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Maybe so.... An one day I may spend a few grand on a bass... But right now, I am very happy with my modified jazz bass and carvin lb75f. The approximate 2K I've spent on those basses including modifications is enough for most people. One day I would love something like a fodera or fbass, but untill then, I am happy with my current gear.

11. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    atleast you are on the right track.

12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    could you elaborate?

13. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I will eagerly anticipate your pm.

14. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Music Man Sterling. Go used and expect to pay $700-800 for one in great shape. Phenomenal bass, smooth, fast neck, and thin like a jazz. Top-notch quality, sounds incredible and addicting to play.
    [​IMG]

15. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I've got a 96 warwick corvette at the moment and while I love the tone I just can't handle the neck. I've got big hands and was hoping I'd get used to the shape of it but if I play for more than about half an hour I get serious cramps in my left hand. If you're in the uk and interested in getting one pm me :D

Also, not ragging on you apollo but i've been noticing more and more people using the word 'addicting'. Surely the word is addictive? Is it a US thing?

Cheers

Tom

16. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    I don't know, Tom. ..but it is bloody addicting. Is that better?

17. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I had a Corvette fretless and was one of the best fretless I´ve ever played (haven´t played too many anyway :smug: )
    I think it´s one of the best ones for under $1000. If I had to go a step above, I´d choose a Zon Sonus or a Pedulla.

18. +1 on the Corvette. I've got an FNA Jazzman fretless 5, and it's lighter and playes easier than my Fender Jazz 5. Tone's great and very versitile. (I guess I'm a Warwick fan...;) )

19. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    Fbass

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

You can't get an F Bass under a grand. Silly boy.