1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best fun effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chickenJames, Oct 19, 2013.

1. so. I'm a pedalboard beginner, just kitting out a basic board.
    I play a Spector 5, clean funk/pop, no slapping, no distortion (yet...).

Currently I reckon I have the basics covered:
    PT mini -> Ashdown BEF -> MXR bass comp -> Boss BEQ graphic

This covers pretty much everything I ever thought I'd need, and now I'm looking to have some fun. So - what do you recommend?
    I fancy trying something that would be fun for practice and would only need to be justified by a 10 second airing in a gig. What would you do?
    octaver? crazy reverb/tremolo (e.g. EHX holy stain/holy grail plus, TC reverb)
    TC nova chorus thing
    MXT chorus?

I've never really got the idea of using distortion on bass - would someone like to explain how it fits into a mix?

discuss....

thanks !

2. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    A good envelope filter or wah type effect can give you a lot of bang for the buck if you're looking just to make some funky/fun sounds.

As far as distortion goes, I tend to use OD a lot more. My OD pedal (Fuzzrocious Dark Driving) is always on and I use my bass volume to adjust the gain on the fly but mostly I have it set to just give a little crunch/bite to my attack.

I tend to use distortion when I'm playing a song in which the original bass line is distorted or when I'm jamming out/soloing for extended periods to help me cut through that much more.

3. Bitcrushers are fun, So are octavers and other pitch shifty effects. Ringmods with expression control of the sweep are fun. If you got a zoom B3 you could have a lot of fun with the looper alone. Just a thought.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My Octave, looper and envelope filter are my fun pedals. Any effect that drives the rest of my band nuts when I screw around with them during rehearsal is my idea of fun.:smug:

I use the octave very sparingly and the envelope filter a bit more and never use the looper on gigs, but they are all fun.

A bass synth can also be fun to play around with.

5. Octaver or envelope filter, pretty standard bass pedals, lots of fun, and not too unusual.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The best fun effect for me is a bit crusher. it is the most unique effect I've ever used. I've always wanted to experiment with a bit crusher effect on bass and the zoom b3 happens to have a bit crusher effect. it's really fun to get video game sounds on my bass. I created a bit crusher patch on my zoom b3 that duplicates a turbo grafx 16 type sound. it is so cool that the zoom b3 has this effect. here are sound samples of the bit crusher patchs I created.

V.G Bass 1
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12226119

V.G Bass 2
    http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12226122

The other fun effect I like to use is a flanger. it may be typical like a chorus, but I do enjoy messing around with flanger effects. especially when I use distortion.

7. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I've found the Fender Sublime bass fuzz pedal to be one of the most usable extreme effects I have. Here's a YouTube clip of one in action...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDvrNQChJHU

Warning, it's a moose of a pedal from a size standpoint and has tons of flexibility built in. Pick one up used from Guitar Center and you'll love it.

8. BenGrim

BenGrim

Feb 3, 2010
    Bellingham, WA
    A good tuner pedal is always fun to have.

9. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Never even knew what a bitcrusher was until this thread inspired me to look at demos. They look like very fun pedals.

Other fun pedals:

+1 on envelope filter
    +1 on loop pedal

I don't think a very versatile delay pedal has been mentioned - they can be insanely fun. Many "very versatile" delays are really expensive (Timeline and Timefactor come to mind - I have a Timefactor and love it). But from what I hear a TC Electronic Flashback X4 is seriously awesome and more reasonably priced. It also has a loop on it - kill two birds with one stone for maximum fun.

10. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    EHX micro pog

11. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I was going to say "Dude, get a synth pedal", something like the Digitech Bass Synth Wah. It's unexpensive and holds a ******** of sounds. But then, why not get the Zoom MS60B ? A lot of useful stuff and more to experiment with. And we're not even talking about the eventual updates that are surely coming up and that will no doubt hold more surprises.

12. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    Octaver, and, not mentioned yet but I love my bass boost chorus. I can get anything from a nice mellow wash to a very watery sound, almost tremolo, and it's a little more useful in non wacky times

13. Settings please. I don't want to wade through that huge thread to find these. Thanks. The clips sound great.

14. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Here are the settings.

V.G bass 1

Section 1: bitcrusher: bit:10, smpl:40, balance:45, tone:7, level:100

Section 2: chorus: depth:45, rate:18, locut:180hz, level:90, predelay: off

Section 3: acoustic: bass:4, mid:4, Treble:5, midfq:400hz, gain:45, level:90, bright: off, cab:ha4x10, mix:57

V.G Bass 2

Section 1: bitcrusher: bit:10, smpl:40, balance:45, tone:7, level:100

Section 2: stereocho: depth: 75, rate: 27, mix: 57, locut: 200hz, level: 80

Section 3: acoustic: bass:4, mid:4, Treble:5, midfq:400hz, gain:45, level:90, bright: off, cab:ha4x10, mix:57

15. sorry, should have made it clear that I already have an envelope filter (that was what I meant by Ashdown BEF).

Sounds like I will need to have a bash on an octaver then.

Also, please could someone help the newbie to understand distortion/overdrive/fuzz in a bass context.
    What do people mean when they distinguish between them? is it just a question of degree i.e. how much distortion/saturation/clipping there is?
    I notice that a lot of the bass pedals allow you to blend in some clean tone as well, and suddenly the whole thing starts to make a lot more sense.

16. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
  17. don't think it gets more fun than a wah or fuzz, or both.

18. what sort of fuzz? I thought I might try something like a big muff bass

(also BTW I have a Zoom B2 but I'm not really getting on very well with it. It's just too fiddly to change anything)

19. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Yeah, I gotta admit, while there are other pedals I have (or have had) that I personally consider more "fun", the one that audiences and bandmates always seem to respond most positively to is the synth pedal. Worth dragging around to a gig just to drop one of those big swept-filter square wave "BWWWOOOOOOWWWWW!" bombs (like the beginning of Rush's "Tom Sawyer") into the set somewhere.

20. Red Panada Particle. Very fun.