1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Functional Complement to Tobias 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by billdeg, Feb 29, 2016.

1. billdeg

billdeg

Mar 12, 2006
    I have a Tobias 5 string with S/N 3413 which I have read is not one of the originals but it's certainly nice quality and I use it every day. It was not cheap when I bought it new, I see the new ones are cheaper so they must have screwed around with the company, not sure I want a new one. I'd like instead to get a used complementary bass to the Tobias I have. It has Bartolini's

My Tobias looks like this, so it must be a Killer B 5:
    Tobias Killer B 5 String Electric Bass Guitar

What I mean by "complementary" is that I need to be able to swap between the two basses in a pinch. Ideally I'd want a 5 string that's not exactly the same as the Tobias, maybe a hair thinner neck, jazz-like but retains the same level of flexibility as the Tobias. I also would want to stay with active electronics.

I truly love the Tobias, it's fantastic. I am a pick pop player, or just straight pick. I abandoned finger plucking for most things. I do a little low distortion or other effects at times. I use a Sans Amp pedal into a SVT-3 Pro (Ampeg 410 or 610) and/or Acoustic 320 (with twin 15 in cab) and/or Acoustic 150.

Here is the issue - I am not a collector, just a working musician and I can maybe afford to plunk down $1200 max. The most important thing is have a 2nd insurance bass should something go wrong with the Tobias, or I want to swap off on stage for variety.

Given the description of my needs above, I have attempted to narrow down to the following list:
    Fender Jazz V
    Carvin LB 75 5
    Warwick Streamer or Corvette
    Lakland Skyline 55-02
    Ibanez BTB 1405
    impossible - get another Tobias?
    something else?

In short; What would be the best complement but not exact copy to the Tobias Killer B 5? Which 5 string is capable of overlaping the sound of the Tobias, but also along with the Tobias expands the total sound I can deliver on stage?

Thanks

Bill

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Of that list, I'd get a Lakland 55-02. Super versatile and well made. And they can be found for less than $1200 on the used market.

3. I don't think anything on your list is in the ballpark of your Killer B. I have one too about a thousand serial #'s earlier than yours. First of all none of those basses have a neck profile like the Assymetrical profile of the Tobias. And I'm not sure which Preamp you have but it won't sound real similar unless it's a Bart/Bart PU/Pre setup. So if you're happy with the feel and sound of your KB5 this is what I would do. If I were you I would be looking at MTD(Michael Tobias Design) (NOT TOBY !!!!!) Kingston, Artist, Heir, Z4/5, Saratoga's and the more rare Grendel if you can find one. There is also a newer Kingston Super. All the offshore MTD's are well made, have a similar neck profile to yours and can be found used for reasonable prices mostly under $1500, some under a $1000. I would also steer clear of the under $500 bottom of the line models. About $600-$1500 gets you a very good instrument. Most have Bart pre and pickups and will sound and feel very familiar. There are one or two other models I can't remember now as well. Good luck. As always YMMV and IMHO etc. I like a lot of other Mfg's too but they are pretty different than your Tobias.

4. billdeg

billdeg

Mar 12, 2006
    This makes sense, I will check these out. I will look for a good used model that I can try out locally.

BIll

5. Where are you located billdeg?

6. billdeg

billdeg

Mar 12, 2006
    I tried a bunch of basses and settled on the Fender Jazz, to my surprise. I also had a chance for a Rickenbacker but it was only a 4 string, nice basses though. In the end I liked how the Jazz (deluxe American) was so versatile, good overall control, consistent sound no matter where I played.

meatwad likes this.
  7. billdeg

billdeg

Mar 12, 2006
    Near Philadelphia

8. I don't know if your looking for a 4 or 5 string but that MTD Renegade 4 on CL in Bethlehem looks like a good deal. They usually go for a couple of hundred more.

9. billdeg

billdeg

Mar 12, 2006
    I decided on a Fender Jazz V Deluxe, at least I want to play it for 24 hours to confirm but it looks like that's the ""complementary" balance I was looking for. I have been playing for the past four hours, song after song, to compare and contrast. I have a few other basses here too to compare with but nothing as good as the Tobias or the Jazz V. I was not expecting to like the Jazz so much, in some ways I like it better than the Tobias, which is perfect.

Preventer likes this.