Best funk bass effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RS, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mutron III

32 vote(s)
  2. Q Tron

28 vote(s)
  3. EH Microsynth unit

6 vote(s)
  4. Boss Bass Synth

6 vote(s)
  5. Akai Deep Synth

16 vote(s)
  6. DOD Envelop Filter

22 vote(s)
  7. EBS Bass IQ

30 vote(s)
  8. Morley Bass wah

8 vote(s)
  9. Mini QTron pedal

10 vote(s)
  10. Bassballs

32 vote(s)
  1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    What is the most useful, dynamic, and interesting bass funk effect? In your opinion, of course.
  2. Well...................
    Personally I like the Dunlop cry-baby wah, though I haven't really used it for funk yet.
    I think it comes down to a tie between the envelop filter and the AKai deep syth. The envelope filter is definately more "funk-like" while the Akai is more useful and you could use it for funk and other genres. But....its not really funk without an envelope filter.
  3. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    OK, for me if you need an effect at all for funk (or if you just want a funky effect) it means auto wah to me. I voted mini Qtron because it's between the mutron and the Qtron, and the mini is just better than the original: smaller, cheaper, and I wouldn't use the rest of the features.
    MichaelT likes this.
  4. The Mu-tron III is a classic; the first used by Bootsy Collins with Parliament and can be heard on classic songs like Chocolate City. It’s very good for getting funk wah sounds. Mike Biegel the creator of the Mu-tron designed the Q-tron so they have the same principles and similar sound.
  5. Octaver> Mutron III. A classic funk effect. You can embellish all ya like with yer fancy digital filter sawtooth wave form thingies but it really just comes down to that. Stick a decent fuzz in there too for a bit of that square wave thang.
    Oct > 'Tron > Fuzz...
  6. There is no funk without the bassballs :D

shame on you for not putting it in the list :mad:
  7. Calm down Mr. X, it's up there now...:D

I've always wanted to edit a poll...
  8. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Why are people voting for the IQ? It's a good filter, but not for funk. Too clean for my liking: I like the greasy sound of a tron.
  9. Well...I own TWO 'Tron's a re-issue and an AC powered original. I thought I'd toss the ripoff as soon as I scored the older one but no. The re-issue has a very smooth sweep and sounds great for guitar-type sounds on HP mode so it stays. The older one is funky but sometimes unpredictable. The BassIQ I just scored is totally diferent from both of these and consequently earns a spot on the floor due to this. It is way to clean for regular chicken-grease funk but that attack knob does some very cool stuff; namely an attack delay effect. It is very synth like in it's operation and I like it.
    Interesting to me how many filters I've owned and tried that were TERRIBLE. Many of them just had a sweep that was not smooth at sort of filters down in steps, y'know? The Mutron III+ doesn't have the funk of the original but man, it is a smooth sweep up or down. So many just can't do this....a Chunk Agent 00Funk for example. The Chunk is hand-built like a tank w/ lots of very cool features and does sound outstanding. I just found that staggered step thing to be way too annoying. I was so ready to toss my re-issue...I wouldn't lose it at all now; not what I had planned at all.
    I've been getting some very cool sounds with my BassIQ lately...I put off the purchase because of that "spanky clean" sound but stick a fuzz in front of it (not after) and play with that attack knob. You tell me that's not funky. Can't do that with either of my 'Trons, they'd trigger wildly.
  10. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    good to know... thanks a ton
  11. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Ooh yeah, my tron doesn't like anything except a tuner and compression in front of it. at least, that's what I though untill I played with the trimpots of my reissue sovtek bassballs to really chunk up the somewhat weedy distortion on lower notes (at the expense of distortion at higher notes admittedly but that sounded to thin anyway). With the gain on the tron right down for a fuller effect, peak on about 9 o clock, slow response, in LP with the env up, and an octave pedal in the effects loop.... Wow! Squellccchhh!!!. Takes a bit of fiddling to get (I played with the trim pot in my tron too but I dont think it was instrumental to this sound), and you can't go wild with your attack but it's the first time I've heard that noise! The bassballs distortion makes a nice fuzz alternative set like it is. :D
    I can't wait to finish writing the song that I'm using it in so I can go and gig it and grin whilst I squelch away and adore the adoration of the crowd.
    Better make sure I can reproduce it on demand!
  12. Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I think a wah would be the best effect, but you didn't have it on your poll.
  13. That trimpot in yer 'Tron controls the cutoff frequency in "down" mode." Cool,eh? I don't stick anything B4 mine except an octaver; just plain doesn't like it.
  14. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Seemingly the trimpot affects the gain. On mine it changes the range and centrepoint of the gain knob in both up and down modes. I've adjusted it to draw out the bass tones, found at the very lowest settings. That way it's not quite SOOOOO crucial to have the gain set fractions of a millimeter perfect on that crucial threshold point.

like I said. I didn't think I could put anything (except the aforementioned) in front of mine, especially another filter with all of its own moving peaks (indeed, all my earlier attempts to lead to me wincing and apologising to my fellow band members!) but I really was surprised. It's very tone dependant too I remeber, both before and after, to get the sound.
  15. Heck..I use two Mutron's in my setup, often at the same time! But you already knew that (any excuse to post my signal chain!)

16. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Ha ha! You just spent so long on your pretty picture that you wanted to get the mileage out of it! I'm thining of making up something like that so I can arrange my boxes on my scree all neatly like!

By the way, does the prunes and custard and what looks like the dod fuzz next to it run its inputs the wrong way round?

Hang on... prunes and custard..... YOU RUN 3 SEPARATE ENVELOPE FILTERS! that's just greedy man! :p
  17. That's a DOD FX25 for dub tones....and I will just have to correct you and point out that I am in fact playing through FIVE EV filters (that is if you count the Korg G5 and P+C sweep thingy..!)
    Greedy? I don't know....Necassary? DEFINITELY!
  18. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Bet you couldn't resist the temptation to turn them all on at once!!! :)

19. One does have to excersize EXTREME restraint when dealing with these crucial tools. In the wrong hands.......PPHHEEEAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Is pretty close!