Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best Funk bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rum & bass, Jan 14, 2002.

1. Lately i have posted a new thread and i was a bit vage like the most of you mentioned.
    The question was: What is the best bass?
    But for what is it the best?
    for metal music, funk, jazz.
    I want to play funk music in the future and i know some funky bassists but they all have different basses. Now i want to know what you think is the best bass for FUNK music.

2. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    a musicman is synonymous with funk. with a pick it'd be really good for metal as well. it'd probably work with jazz, but you'd be better off with a j or p for jazz. j's are great for funk as well, but p's are more popular for heavier rock.

3. IMO. Any bass can be good for funk. If you are talking about funk sound you can make any bass sound funky depending on how you set your levels. The point is you have to be able to play/write it. I wouldnt say any is better than another. It's just down to your ability and what bass is most comfortable for you playing that style of music. I know I use my basses for all sorts of different things and wont only use one for a certain type of music. I'll just take the one I feel like playing.

sim

4. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    within what pricerange? if the skys the limit... then id point right at an MTD x35...

5. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Warwick corvette pro-line! The old ones with the adjust a nut on them so you can set the action really low! ummmmm spector american made! Or hell just buy a good fender!

6. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    This topic is just as vague as "What Bass is Best?". Any bass can be a great funk bass. There are no requirements that a bass has to meet in order to be played for funk.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Funk is NOT about the bass! It's about the feel and your hands! Learn to play it so it FEELS funk, and the bass won't matter. The bass surely won't help you be funky!!!

(Btw, just in case you don't know...check out some funk guys that DON'T slap. That's where you find most of the REAL good funk stuff. Wooten ain't funky, I'll tell you that...)

8. I'm definitely with the "funk is in the hands" camp here. I've got a Spector and it certainly doesn't make me funky. :p

One example of some good funky playing is early Jamiroquai stuff. Stu Zender is one of my main influences now -- I simply love his style.

Also the man to check out for fingerstyle funk would be Tower of Power's Rocco Prestia. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but Rocco is the man.

9. Ok who turned this thread into a "Is funk in the bass or fingers?" thread?? I am fairly certain that the poster is well aware of the fact that funk is a style of music played with the fingers. The question asked a specific question about which bass was best for funk in your opinion. I wonder how many smart @$$3$ can comment about funk not being part of the bass?? Do you guys just try to get your post numbers higher... Lets be honest.... telling him/her once maybe even twice should suffice if you have a reason to belittle his/her post.

I am sure you are all pros making your living at this and I know I am not yet, and I am sure your opinion is great, but the opinion asked for was on basses. In that frame of mind i would recommend:

Musicman Stingray (harder edge funk)
    High end J-bass possibly sadowsky (for more traditional funk)

other cool options that some would not think about would be:

ibanez EDB w/ light guage strings (slap, tap, pop funk)

G&L L2000 series (any funk you want)

There is no offense intended in this post. I respect all of you for being better and more experienced than I.

Later,

Drake

10. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Personally I always felt the Musicman stingrays have a killer slap tone (even better than the Fender Jazz IMO) but I always found when it came to finger funk they're a bit "toppy" then again everyone has their own preference for instance my idea of a killer finger funk tone is Bernard Edwards sound..(Fender P bass I think).

(now that I think of it traditionally Fender P basses are known as "rock" basses and the J basses are generally known for Jazz(obviously)/funk basses....however isnt it odd how the "Gods" of funk bass (Rocco, Edwards etc) all played P basses)

then again I have been wrong before.

11. S A D O W S K Y !

Indeed any bass can be used for funk but my top favorite is a Sadowsky, either jazz or PJ. I have the former and ordered the latter last week. :D

12. Flatwound4

Flatwound4

Nov 28, 2001
    It's really just a matter of your own idea of a good funk tone. Many people have mentioned the Stingray because it has a bright, slap-friendly sound. Often funk seems to be synonymous with slap, but I almost never use the slap pop technique when playing funk.

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I've seen people play funk on many types of basses. from a p bass. to alembics. It really again is all about what you like.. Stingrays are good for slap.. I know.. I have one ;). but slap isn't what makes funk music funk music. You can be funky and not slap all of the time. On that note, The Stingray does have an excellent tone overall.. Pedulla bass rock the house also.

Really its all about the groove you lay down, not the bass