Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best funk brand?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dunk Da Funk, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Dunk Da Funk

Dunk Da Funk

Mar 21, 2005
    Who do you guys think makes the best basses for playing funk music when comparing equally priced models?

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Can you be more specific on the FUNK music??
    Classic Funk?Neo Funk?

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Are you interested in James Brown type of grooves, disco style music, more hard edged or synthesizer dominated music, are you heavily into slap or thumping? All of those things would affect your choice of bass.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Lately I have been a Musicman booster. Regardless of your style, I think that a Stingray or SUB would make a great choice assuming you don't mind working your tone controls.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Musicman, stingray , sterling, SUB, bongo...any of em.

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    lowphatbass, do I sense some German grammar in your sig? :D

7. If you want to go for Jazz or Precision style basses for funk you can't go wrong with Lakland - they're really consistent from instrument to instrument. The Joe Osborne, Bob Glaub models will get you there. The US models are great, but if you're on a budget, the Skyline series are a great bang for the buck.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I tell ya, I'm not much of a Fender guy, but for that old school sound, I haven't found anything better than the Fender Jazz Marcus Miller model. It had a decent fingerstyle sound, but for thumb playing with some pop, it was a monster.

9. PeaceFrog

PeaceFrog

Aug 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    MM Sting Ray or Fender Jazz 2nd

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    If a Marcus Miller is now considered old school I must be getting real old.

11. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    A good passive jazz bass! :bassist:

12. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I' m a Sadowsky dude, but you know what, I just quit listening to Sly and the Family Stone Retrospective 2 CD set. Dude, FENDER JAZZ, FENDER JAZZ, FENDER JAZZ, FENDER JAZZ!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe Phoyrr can sell you one out of the 300 in his collection!

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Point taken, but I didn't mean to imply that the model was old at all. I just meant that it to me, it has a lot of tonal similarity to older funk. :)

14. Dunk Da Funk

Dunk Da Funk

Mar 21, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. The next chance I get, I will have to try a Fender Jazz Bass.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Any decent bass that is setup properly and played through a decent amp will be able to play most styles with some tweaking.

I don't understand why some people feel they need a certain bass for style of music. I know I put a bass through it's paces using tons of different styles before I even consider purchasing a bass. I would never buy a "metal" bass or a "punk" bass.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yes you do! Translation can be a funny business sometimes, maybe you could PM me with what you feel it's true meaning is because I have heard differing opinions...

Fender Jazz
    Lakes
    Rays

pretty much anything that bolts on and has some SACK!!

17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Ever try slapping a Hofner beatle bass? :D

18. I love my Sadowsky NYC Vintage 4 and I agree about the Marcus Miller......I have a MM4 that I run through a Sadowsky outboard preamp and it nails the Marcus slap tone to a T.........

Peace,

T

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    You don't understand because you probably don't listen to the original funk tunes played in the 70's, groups from the 80's (even with bassist like Mark King) played funky but where not really considered funk music, also think Kajagoogoo with "too shy". Funk is a simple danceable music and just because a bassist can slap it doesn't make him funky, That's what happened the slap style in the 80's and 90's. bass players got more into "slap shredding" and " monster slap chops" than holding down a funky groove. With the advent of active basses alot of bass players get into the " yo yo did you hear how these pups sound or I got a (fill in the blank) pre-amp " My bass is made out of balsa wood and the neck curves this way to reach the cerebral yadda yadda yadda we have all heard the song. Don't get me wrong, half my jazz basses are active but when it comes to "old schol funk" for me nothing beats a passive jazz! Funk music is a down home greasy on the backbeat kinda groove and the hi fidelity of active basses can take away from that, Imagine listening to jazz standards played on a strat! :rollno:
    Passive jazz basses have the sound that lends itself perfectly to "old school funk music"

20. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    That model is supposed to be "old". If it were the real deal, it would be 30 something years old.....